Penguin Watch Talk

Seals?

• gail3511 by gail3511

APZ0005lxi has an animal in the water. Not sure how far away it really is, and what it is. Seems like "other" needs an "I don't know or other" category.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Very difficult to see what it is. But we saw a penguin on a piece of ice down there and it was about the same size. We've also seen seals in this area - but it does not look like a seal head - but it is not clear. I wondered if it was a rock, however it does not appear in this picture which is also taken at low tide: http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/subjects/APZ0005lan

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Looks like a penguin to me too.

Posted

• Dale_Jacobsen by Dale_Jacobsen

This is not related to the image, but to the competition. Why are Australians excluded? I am most distressed to read this. We aussies work just as hard to classify, and are just as passionate about Antarctica. Is there anyway of changing the rules? Cannot understand why!!!

Posted

Hello Dale. I was just as surprised myself. In fact one of our moderators is in the same difficult situation. And it's a situation that makes me feel very awkward. I'll send a message to DZM who deals with communications at the Zooniverse to see if he can find an answer for this.
    I really understand your passion for Antarctica. I'm also working on OldWeather Zooniverse which is investigating (in part) changes to the Arctic ice sheets.

Posted

• banthesun by banthesun

It's some really unclear phrasing, actually. I read it as including Canada and Australia, but excluding Quebec, since it would be weird to exclude Australia from 'Europe and North America'. Some clarity would be nice...

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Well, we're talking about this part:

The Competition is open to all residents of the United Kingdom, Europe and North America excluding Quebec, Canada and Australian residents, who have attained the age of 21 by April 15, 2015, with a valid passport.

I'm not an expert on the English grammar but I know that commas may change the meaning in some sentences. And this ones is too difficult for me to be sure :]

But I understand it that as for North America, they excluded Quebec, but not Canada nor Australia.

Wait for someone from the PW team to make this clear.

Posted

Oh that's interesting yshish - a comma error. Using commas properly is very technical when writing lists. Really it's mathematics.
    So it might be:

'The Competition is open to all residents of the United Kingdom, Europe, North America including Canada but excluding Quebec, and Australian residents, who have attained the age of 21 by April 15, 2015, with a valid passport.'

In this case (if this is correct!!) It would have been better phrased
    'The Competition is open to all residents of the United Kingdom, Europe, Australia, and North America including Canada but excluding Quebec, who have attained the age of 21 by April 15, 2015, with a valid passport.'

The exclusion of Quebec utterly mystifies me. It must be some visa oddity. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed. because earlier today I could not have felt more sad for so many of our noble peng-zooites.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Hoping our fellow penguin counters are given some clarity on the question...I would agree with the understanding expressed by yshish and AvastMH. I hope that is so.

Posted

I have sent a message to both the Zooniverse contact and the Quark expedition contact, so far, no response from either.

Posted

Give them a little time, Dale. I know the Zooniverse folks are flat-out with all the different projects. I'd guess the Quark folks are going to want to be very clear with their reply to avoid further confusion. 😃

Posted

Thanks for your patience Dale. 😃 Well said gardenmaeve. 😃 Best to be safe!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hey guys,

I've just checked. I'm sorry to say that the competition excludes all of Canada, all of Quebec, and all of Australia.

Please understand that this was not any sort of decision that we at Zooniverse made. This contest is being run entirely by Quark Expeditions, and the terms and conditions are theirs. Quark sets those, not us.

I would hypothesize that the reason likely has to do with the laws of those countries themselves with regards to how competition prizes can be awarded, but I don't represent Quark in any way. They may be able to offer more clarity themselves.

Again, I'm really sorry that this is bad news. It just isn't our call. We value our noble Aussie and Canadian penguin watchers as much as all others, and we couldn't do this without you!!

Posted

In solidarity with all our excluded peng-zooites I will refuse any prize that I might win.

When all is said and done the Penguins still need our help - and it is their needs that inspire me to support our citizen scientist efforts on their behalf. Penguins cannot speak. But we can 'speak' for them, and I certainly intend to continue to do so.

Dale - my heart goes out to you.

Posted

I am so sorry to learn the answer to Dale's question. Written letters to Quark may be more fruitful than emails. At least you may get a reply.

I came here to help the penguins, not to win a prize. I wouldn't be able to pay for airfare or taxes on this prize anyway...small comfort but there it is. I'd ask those who are excluded from the trip competition to stay to help here anyway. You know we all appreciate so many fellow volunteers.

Posted

I do it for the penguins. But... there was always that nice little tingle that I might win the prize (faint hope). Now, back to classifying.

Posted

Yes, I understand, Dale. Thanks for your gracious spirit. I'm glad you will stay with us. Thank you.

Posted

I second gardenmaeve! 😃

Posted

• banthesun by banthesun

Aww, that's a shame to find out! Counting penguins is great on it's own though, so I'm definitely sticking around as long as we've got images to count!

Avast, for my part, I wouldn't expect you to refuse the prize if you won. With how active you are you'd be one of the most deserving winners!

Posted

oh banthesun - you're kind. You've been a really great help too. In fact I've been quite taken by how many PW-ers have helped with all our newbies. And the Penguins are blessed to have dedicated peng-zooites like yourself.

Actually I've got plans....but don't tell anyone. There's a bit more sloppy wording that implies you might not be going on your own (?!?)...so pack your bags - if I win I'm taking EVERYONE on PW with me..hehehe! Oh what a dream that would be..we could ALL line up on that ridge on Petermann Island and wave frantically at the camera as it goes off - with a big banner saying 'HELLO PENGUINWATCHERS'. Wouldn't that be the best! 😄

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter in response to gail3511's comment.

In reference to what is it in the water. Looking at both images, I think they are rocks at different tide levels. However, i have just posted a question regarding leopard seals at the same spot in another photo and i am sure it is not rocks in the other photo and a close cruising seal.
    coldcounter

Posted