Penguin Watch Talk

Thank you!

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Wow, 20,000 volunteers have been participating on the Penguin Watch! And all together, we managed to do 2,452,263 classifications!

Thank you all, guys, you're just amazing! And we really appreciate your hard work 😃

Best, Zuzi

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

That's a lot!

You moderators are pretty amazing as well- so many thanks to you for your patience and hard work!

gardenmaeve

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

And a huge thank you to you gardenmaeve, for all your help with answering questions. Without you, banthesun, Whereizmom and others, we would not be able to help each other half so well 😃

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

That's how a community should work! 😃

Posted

Too true gardenmaeve 😃 That's what I really like about the Zooniverse - the community spirit. 😄

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter

Thanks to all, fellow markers and the moderators, the support given on PW truly reflects a community project and just look at what happens (nearly 2.5m classifications ... round of applause) when we all mark (and learn) together. 😃

Posted

Yes - I've been keeping an eye on that total - can't wait for the 2.5 million! 😄

Posted

• Shara by Shara

Can someone tell me if it is of use to classify pictures as
    Image APZ0008qh7
    when half of the picture is blinded by ice /rain??? If not, then please invent something, that no other user is classifying this picture. It is also our time.
    I also think it would be quite useful to add a question mark to the circle of identification.
    Thank you

Posted

Hi Shara - it really IS HELPFUL for us to get those counts! 😃 Thanks for expressing your concerns and thanks so much for your efforts, the time you give to helping the penguins makes a REAL difference. At a recent Zooniverse conference we heard that our information is helping to make more areas of the Southern Oceans safe from over-fishing of the penguins' food stuffs.

The scientists knew they'd be up against the Antarctic weather and that these circumstances would occur. But there's no option since no-one could withstand staying in situ through the winter, and we cover some 70 sites already (we'll see more of those soon once the pictures are formatted, which is a huge process in itself).

Let me explain. About 10 or 11 people mark each picture. The computer database shows the hot spots on the picture that indicate our marks and therefore the presence of a penguin. The density of the penguins is very relevant to assessing how they are doing and what their activities are. So even a partial picture will reflect those changes. The scientists have to extrapolate what's going on on the rest of the picture. I hope this information helps.

Because the machines and computer screens we have vary many pictures are left that the majority of the 10/11 markers will manage to assess, and with so many (we're just about to hit 2.5 million classified pictures) picture, there's even a story to be told by having to send a picture back as 'I can't tell'.

If you are unsure about whether there's a penguin on the photo (especially with the night-time photos!), or are unsure as to the age of the penguin (chick or adult?) then please do use the advice in our FAQs here: http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000007 And ALWAYS feel very welcome to comment on your photo and ask for any extra information that might help.

Sorry for such a long reply, but once again - many thanks for your help 😃

Joan (AvastMH)

Posted