Penguin Watch Talk

Plump Penguins

• nthrockmorton by nthrockmorton

"Why do they look so plump? Is it because they just got back from eating?" [Annika]

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to nthrockmorton's comment.

It is because they've started moulting their feathers. If you look closer, you can see that some of them have "empty" areas on their body. They cannot go to the sea unless the moulting is finished, so they don't eat during the moulting time either.

Z.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Oh gosh they look very cuddly like that! 😄

That's a great picture Annika. I will add it to my 'moulting' collection of pictures - thank you 😃

Posted

• nthrockmorton by nthrockmorton

Here's some of what Annika said when I told her your responses:

"That's cool! I think they are hungry. How about we go to 'fish and chips' with them?" [Annika]
    "Why would we go to 'fish and chips' with them? [Nick]
    "Because there's fish there." [Annika]

We are going on a trip next week up near Canada, and there is a place where we always get fish and chips on Lake Superior, so she must be thinking of that! 😃

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Annika, you are one good thinker! The penguins would be very surprised to see the fish all golden and fried! It sounds delicious to me. Have fun going the the fish and chips shop.

Thank you for the beautiful penguin painting you made. You made it look like the penguin was about to move fast!

gardenmaeve

Posted