Penguin Watch Talk

Dr. Tom

• nthrockmorton by nthrockmorton

"When is Dr. Tom going to take more pictures?" [Annika]

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to nthrockmorton's comment.

Hi Annika ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I think he's already gone to Antarctica for another fieldwork.. but will make sure and let you know as soon as I get a reply.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to nthrockmorton's comment.

Hi Annika (hi Nick/dad)!

I've just received an email from Caitlin with her reply to your question, Annika ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Here it is:

Tom and the team will be in the field this year from the end of October to mid-February. We will come back with MANY more pictures, which should be available on the site around mid-April 2016 for International Penguin Day. We will try to post photos on our blog, which will be uploaded on Facebook and twitter so you can see our progress in the field. Ideally, most of the photos from the previous launch (last April) will be annotated before we put up new photos, but if the volunteers would like to see more updated photos we can work on prioritizing those.

Best,

Zuzi ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

"Thank you! I'm looking forward to seeing different penguins." [ANNIKA]

Posted

Dear Annika and dad (and other volunteers),

I have just received a message by Dr. Tom, with some interesting information for you and others! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

He is currently on Falklands (and says hi to you all), heading to South Georgia where they'll be over the next month! They have got about 15 cameras there, mostly focussed on kings and gentoos, but with a couple of macaroni cameras as well ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Theyโ€™re probably going to upload a load more in January/February. Theyโ€™re waiting to see if the foraging camera images get finished, but then theyโ€™ll load up all the ones from this season and a couple of colonies left over from the last season.

Happy penguin counting! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Zuzi

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

That's good news for us all Zuzi! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Then the sooner we classify the current load of images the sooner we get some lovely new ones!

Thanks!
    gardenmaeve

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Some news from Dr. Tom:

Iโ€™m in the Falklands, and Iโ€™ve finally caught up with the yearโ€™s emails! Iโ€™m heading out again on Saturday to the Danger Islands to set up a satellite-linked camera, Caitlin is heading down the peninsula on a different ship.

Safe travels, dear scientists! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

I've just received a picture of Dr. Tom placing a rockhopper camera on the Falklands for you...

DrTWRsOTF

Will try to get some more! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Wow! wow! wow! thank you Dr Tom!!! I LOVE the Rockhoppers- they made me laugh so much:D Looks like a very bouldery nest site - that should be interesting. I think that it will be excellent to get satellite pictures ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Some news from Dr. Tom! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

He's just got back from the Danger Islands. They got the first ever survey of that place. They found a whole load of new colonies.

He's heading out of the Falklands tomorrow to Ushuaia, and will join the Ocean Endeavour in 12 days.

He's going to write some blog posts about their exciting finds soon.

Stay tuned!

Z.

Posted

That's wonderful news, yshish! Thanks.

I looked up The Danger Islands

Posted

Thanks Yshish! So good to hear from Dr Tom! Thanks gardenmaeve - I was wondering where those islands were ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Sounds like we'll have more exciting sites to mark next year ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Here's a lovely short Vimeo film about a visit to one of the Danger Islands: 2011 Students on Ice Antarctic Expedition: Adelie Penguins on Heroina Island (Danger Islands), and here is a log of sorts of the trip: Students On Ice - Daily Journal Updates

This link shows a small part of the undersea life in the region: Antarctic Underwater Field Guide

Here is the link to the whole field guide Antarctic Underwater Field Guide

Posted

Here is an online edition of Antarctica: or, Two years amongst the ice of the South pole a book about time spent on expedition in the Antarctic by explorers Otto Nordenskjรถld, โ€ŽJohan Gunnar Andersson, โ€ŽCarl J. Skottsberg - 1905. I found it through a search for more information about the Danger Islands. Etna Island, one of the Danger Islands, is discussed part-way through the book. It's a harrowing experience, for their ship "The Antarctica", is lost and the men are forced to camp for the winter surviving on our little penguin friends and seals. Quite an interesting read.

Posted

fascinating logs from the students! It's so good to see the penguins moving ๐Ÿ˜ƒ thanks so much @gardenmaeve!

Posted

If you can access the 'bbc iplayer' run by the BBC you can enjoy something that I missed until now: 6 episodes of radio programme about the 'Penguin Post Office'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04fyz58#play
    I think there are was of accessing the bbc from abroad..let me know if you have trouble and I'll ask an expert on OW ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

I moved this reply

Posted

We just watched that student video of the Danger Islands--very cool. We'll keep classifying these images so we can do our part to move us on to the next batch!

"I want to go there someday with dad and with Pierce!" [Annika]

Posted

And thanks to your help there will still be penguins to see when you venture to the Danger Islands. I hope you do go there with dad and Pierce, Annika, even though it will be a bit of a wait to get there. ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted