Penguin Watch Talk

number restrictions

• lesleylupo by lesleylupo

why do we have to quit at 30? Could we just count until 40 or 50 on some of these bigger colonies? Or until we get tired and then click too many to count? Just curious...

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Oh, @lesleylupo - No one says to quit at thirty! We ask that you try to mark at least 30 if you can. If you are able and willing to count more- even all- we are very happy!

The only time you should stop counting a particular photo is when you can no longer place the marks accurately- that's when "Too many penguins to count" is very handy! This is in the FAQs. Thanks for your eagerness to help. 😄

Posted

Ohhhhh, I took it as a suggestion to stop when the window opens and tells me too! LOLOLOL

I am too literal for my own good. I suppose that is in the directions which I rarely read...

😄
    Yay, I love the pengin project the best of all my projects.

Lesley

Posted

Sp I am working on all of them, except for the King penguins, and those tiny specks are too close to each other. But you want those counted too, no?

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hi lesley, the more you mark per picture the better the results, but knowing that places like this site (its nickname is 'Nessie Line') have so many penguins means that we have to say 'you've done 30, move on if you like' so that people don't feel too stuck on one picture. The scientists set this up and are happy with the results. I suspect that most people do try to mark as many as they possibly can. For those situations where the pengs are distant and so too close to mark, or for when someone does not want to mark more than so, we have the 'too many to mark' option in place.

And the King penguins are the perfect example of why you need to have 'too many to mark'. Highest ever count - about 740. I never got past 640 myself. 😄

I'm so glad to hear that you are enjoying it. We are looking forward to seeing more sites when the new pictures come on line (no idea of when that will be). Sounds like you have plenty of projects to work on! Good luck with those and carry on enjoying PW 😄

Posted

Another question: Some penguins were so far away they only look like tiny, tiny specks. Do we also mark those? I do but the marker blocks out many of them.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Hi again Lesley- I'll just add to part of the helpful reply from AvastMH- It will answer your recent question: "For those situations where the pengs are distant and so too close to mark, or for when someone does not want to mark more than 30, we have the 'too many to mark' option in place."

However, when they really do only look like specks please don't mark them. They could be rocks! OK? You're doing a good job marking carefully.

Posted