Penguin Watch Talk

Correct Marking

• Johanna25 by Johanna25

Hello, I am just making sure that I am marking the survey correctly and that I'm honoured to be able to assist in such an important adventure and the wonderful work that you are all doing

Kind regards

Jo

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hi Johanna25! welcome to PW.

Now - we can't see your marks, so I have done a quick mark up using 'snip' on my computer....really hope this helps you. Remember that several people mark each picture so all should be well.

And please do read the great tips and information in our FAQs here: https://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000007/

I have put a red spot on the adults. I ringed some tiny chicks. I think there were more penguins there so I would finish with 'too many to mark' 😃 Thank you for all your help 😄

enter image description here

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

@AvastMH - This is exactly the sort of marking example I looked for way back when I started marking penguins. Nicely done!

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

😄 😄 I've been working 'snip' and imgur hard. I know exactly what you mean - I felt the same too 😃

Posted

• Johanna25 by Johanna25

Oh dear..I click using the Adult first and a little cross is left on the middle part of penguin, wing or on any part that I am able to see. I will have a read again and see where I have gone wrong. That is disappointing, but I will get better.

Posted

• Johanna25 by Johanna25

A question that I can't find the answer to, is when I click on the penguin there is a cross left and not a circle as in the tutorial, is there still something that I'm not doing??? I have looked through FAQ's and other areas of information. I'm going slow as not to make mistakes and if there are too many penguins I mark to 25-30 if I can, check for chicks and eggs, and others.

If there are clearly too many penguins can I click straight on too many, or count to the 30 mark then too many.

Thanks for your advice and help

Posted

You are getting the orange cross "X" when you mark adults- that is exactly right. The tutorial shows marks that are circles, but you should indeed see the "X" marks you describe. 😃

It is always best when we mark as many animals as we can before choosing the "Too many penguins...". This is because we are doing two tasks at once in Penguin Watch:

1. We are counting penguins, humans, vessels, and other animals to help the scientists learn how population is changing.
    2. Our counting marks also are helping to teach computers how to mark as accurately as we can.

So, when you count as many as you can before finishing and when you count carefully so your marks are accurate, you are doing the job exactly right! 😃 😃 Thank you so much for your extra efforts. We appreciate your help!

Posted

• Johanna25 by Johanna25

Ok, thanks, I was confused with the circles and "X"

Ok, will make sure that I mark as many as I can before "Too many penguins"

Yes I try, using the magnifying is very helpful tool.

I have marked last photo with chicks that still have fluffy brown on their backs, am still unsure of the adults so left that to experienced markers. Someone else has also commented, I don't do hashtags etc yet as I still have "L" plates and don't want to make mistakes.

Thanks for your help

Posted

You are doing a fine job. I have replied to your question about marking as chick or as adult. Any time at all that you can't tell if they are chicks or adults it is correct to mark as adult. If penguins are clearly chicks (as described for each species in the Frequently Asked Questions / FAQs) we must mark as chicks. At all other times, marking as adult is correct. Of course, we only mark animals we are sure of. 😉

Hash marks are now only to be applied by moderators, so thank you for not using any. When you see something wonderful please leave a note asking moderators to look and decide whether a hashtag is appropriate for that special image. There is only one our wonderful PW volunteers would be allowed to use: If you ever get the same image (same image number) you are asked to use #repeated and to send a PM to a moderator. Read more about this policy here: https://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000007/discussions/DPZ0000imy

Thank you again for being so diligent. 😃

Posted