Penguin Watch Talk

PW team needs to be featured

• Hatschi by Hatschi

Hi there!

Recently discussed that it would be nice the PW team would be featured more prominently.
    Now, I have that little blog of mine and I tried to capture the special work our PW team here is doing.
    The post is quite lengthy because it comes in two languages.

I've put some pictures in the blog post that I've left out here.
    If you like to see the post with pictures please hit the link
    https://schickesundschoenes.wordpress.com/2016/10/27/penguinwatch-team/
    (@ mods: hope it's ok to put the link here and to compose such a long message)

The post:

Penguinwatch Team

I’ve posted before about the joy of counting penguins on penguinwatch.org.

Ich habe ja schon früher darüber berichtet, wie schön es ist, Pinguine zu zählen.

Now, while the penguins are the cutest cuties and always up to some mischief let’s not forget about the people who make it possible for us to help protect Antarctica and the penguins in the first place.

Natürlich sind die Pinguine die Coolsten überhaupt und immer für Blödsinn zu haben. Aber ich wollte Euch auch mal die Menschen vorstellen, die es uns überhaupt erst möglich machen, beim Schutz der Antarktis und der Pinguine zu helfen.

First there is the science team. Dr. Caitlin Black, Dr. Tom Hart and Fiona. They know an awful lot about penguins and they are the lucky ones who travel to Antarctica to set up the cameras, collect last year’s photos and see some of the penguins in person to do whatever scientists do with them – like collecting their poop for examinations. Lovely job!

You are, however, probably not going to meet the scientists on Penguinwatch.org

Zunächst sind da mal die Wissenschaftler Dr. Caitlin Black, Dr. Tom Hart und Fiona. Sie wissen unglaublich viel über Pinguine und sind die Glücklichen, die in die Antarktis reisen dürfen, um die Kameras zu warten, die Speicherkarten mit den Fotos des vergangenen Jahres einzusammeln und auch einige Pinguine persönlich zu treffen, um mit ihnen zu tun, was Wissenschaftler eben so mit Pinguinen machen – z. B. die Pinguin-Häufchen einsammeln. Toller Job!

Vermutlich trefft Ihr aber auf Penguinwatch.org keine der Wissenschaftler

id you know that there is a forum where you can ask questions about penguins and the marking process? You also can comment on the photos and make collections of your favourite pictures.

There are three lovely moderators on Penguinwatch.org to answer your questions. All three of them are very kind, good-humored, always friendly and helpful. They have the patience of saints and they know a lot about penguins and life in Antarctica in general. I guess their job description also involves taking care that the forums and comments section remains neat and tidy, free of foul language and arguments. But I still have to see this there. It is a great community.

Wusstet Ihr, dass es ein Forum gibt, in dem man Fragen über Pinguine und das Markieren stellen kann? Man kann auch die Fotos kommentieren und Sammlungen der Lieblingsbilder erstellen.

Auf Penguinwatch.org gibt es drei sehr nette Moderatorinnen, die Fragen beantworten. Alle drei sind sehr nett, gut drauf, immer freundlich und hilfreich. Sie haben eine Engelsgeduld und wissen sehr viel über Pinguine und allgemein über das Leben in Antarktika. Ich schätze mal, sie sollen sich auch darum kümmern, dass der Tonfall in den Foren und den Kommentaren freundlich bleibt. Aber ich habe noch nicht erlebt, dass hier ein Eingreifen notwendig gewesen wäre. Es ist eine tolle Gemeinschaft.

The moderators answer questions or comments in several languages so nobody needs to be shy to ask or comment even if they don’t write English.

There is one thing that I only recently learnt about the moderators on Penguin Watch: They do it all voluntarily in their spare time. And not only do they moderate the comments section and forum, they also constantly work on the FAQ for example. An extra big THANK YOU to the Peng mods for this!

Die Moderatoren beantworten Fragen übrigens in verschiedenen Sprachen. Es braucht sich also niemand von Kommentaren oder Fragen ausgeschlossen fühlen, nur weil er kein Englisch kann.

Eine Sache, die ich auch erst seit kurzem weiß, ist, dass die Moderatoren das alles ehrenamtlich in ihrer Freizeit machen! Und sie kümmern sich nicht nur um die Moderatorenaufgaben in den Kommentaren und im Forum, sondern sie arbeiten auch sehr viel im Hintergrund, um z. B. die FAQ zu erstellen. Dafür ein extra großes DANKESCHÖN an die Pengmods!

So let’s see who they are (no particular order)

Ich stelle Euch mal die Moderatoren vor (Reihenfolge zufällig)

First there is Yshish

Yshish is the first PW moderator but she is also very active on other projects like Plankton Portal. Plankton is very important as it is the basis for the food chain for our penguins. I’ve tried marking on PlanktonPortal too. It is very very interesting but also pretty difficult. Yshish does a great job there and she knows a lot about how small changes in one place can influence other places big time. Like how little plankton can lead to hungry penguins.

Yshish
    Yshish ist die erste der PW Moderatoren und sie ist auch in anderen Projekten sehr aktiv. Plankton Portal zum Beispiel. Plankton ist sehr wichtig, weil es die Grundlage der Nahrungskette für unsere Pinguine ist. Ich habe auch schon mal versucht, auf PlanktonPortal mitzumachen. Sehr sehr interessant, aber auch ziemlich schwierig. Yshish leistet dort tolle Arbeit und sie weiß wirklich unglaublich viel darüber, wie sehr kleine Veränderungen an einer Stelle woanders große Auswirkungen haben können. Zum Beispiel, wie wenig Plankton zu hungrigen Pinguinen führt.

Then there is AvastMH

AvastMH loves her penguin fun – or pengfun. Check out her collections about penguins caught midstep – so cute! Or about poop art. Yes, that’s exactly what you think now. Also AvastMH has some incredibly cute collection pictures of penguin footprints – some even with wingdips! But there are also some stunningly beautiful pictures of Antarctic light or sea ice.

I guess that AvastMH reads a lot. Every now and again her comments are a poem or a quote or some lines from song lyrics. I admit that I often have to google them to fully appreciate the comment 

AvastMH

AvastMH mag die Pinguinspäße – oder Pengfun – sehr gern. Schaut Euch mal Ihre Sammlungen an. So goldig! Sie sammelt Pinguine, die mitten im Gehen fotografiert wurden. Oder Ihre Sammlung zu poop art – ja genau! Kunst aus Pinguin-Guano. Sehr herzig sind auch die Bilder mit Fußabdrücken, bei denen manchmal auch die Flügelabdrücke vom Watscheln zu sehen sind. Sie hat auch ganz viele wunderschöne Bilder vom Antarktischen Licht oder Meereseis gesammelt.

Ich vermute, dass AvastMH sehr viel liest. Immer wieder mal kommentiert sie ein Bild mit einem Gedicht oder einigen Zeilen aus Liedtexten. Ich muss zugeben: ich muss das dann sehr oft googeln, um den Kommentar genau zu verstehen.

The third moderator on Penguinwatch is gardenmaeve

Gardenmaeve has a penguin couple that she follows closely. She calls them Mr. and Mrs. Boldflash and they are gentoo penguins.

Life is hard in Antarctica and so gardenmaeve also has a picture collection she calls „predation“. But not everything is gruesome and so gardenmaeve writes beautiful penguin poems and I think secretely she favours the Macaroni penguins this season.

Die dritte Moderatorin auf Penguingwatch ist gardenmaeve

Gardenmaeve beobachtet ein spezielles Pinguinpaar. Sie hat ihnen den Namen Mr. and Mrs. Boldflash gegeben. Die beiden sind Eselspinguine.

Das Leben in der Antarktis ist hart. Deshalb hat gardenmaeve eine Sammlung, die sie “predation” (~ Jagd durch Raubtiere). Aber nicht alles ist grausam und gardenmaeve schreibt sehr schöne Pinguingedicht. Ich glaube, dieses Jahr sind die Macaroni Pinguine, die auf Deutsch eigentlich Goldschopfpinguine heißen, ihre heimlichen Lieblinge

And there are of course all those fellow counters in the comments section like coldcounter, who was lucky enough to visit Antarctica and who loves the light there. Or bienle123 who often makes up little penguin dialogues or stories on the pictures. Or Norsetroll76 with funny remarks. Or asb2718 who often asks very interesting questions and all the others with their funny remarks or interesting questions or drawing attention to details I would’ve missed otherwise.

Und dann gibt es natürlich noch all die anderen User, die oft Kommentare hinterlassen, wie z. B. coldcounter die/der das Glück hatte, in die Antarktis reisen zu können und heute noch von dem Licht dort schwärmt. Oder bienle123, die/der sich immer wieder mal kleine Pinguin-Dialoge oder Geschichten zu den Bildern ausdenkt. Oder Norsetroll76, der/die lustige Kommentare postet. Oder asb2718, der/die oft sehr interessante Fragen stellt. Und natürlich all die anderen, die lustige Bemerkungen machen, interessante Fragen stellen oder die Aufmerksamtkeit auf Einzelheiten lenken, die einem sonst entgehen würden.

Thank you all for making Penguinwatch.org the great place and community it is! May the pebbles be with you ooOoOOoOOoooOooo

Vielen Dank Euch allen, dass Ihr Penguingwatch.org zu der tollen Gemeinschaft macht, die es ist. Mögen die Kieselsteine mit Euch sein ooOoOOoOOoooOooo

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Dear Hatschi,

I'm really impressed and touched by your blog. It's a lovely 'memoire' of PenguinWatch that I shall certainly keep against the days when penguins are safe and we need count them no more! 😄

I think you should have included yourself Hatschi, you are so often working on the project and adding interesting and amusing thoughts. 😃

And I'll say a very big thank you to all our volunteers because, whatever you bring to the project, serious or light hearted. And I shall add my bag of pebbles to Hatschi's

O0oo0O0Ooo0oO0o0

😄

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Oh, Hatschi, I've already thanked you profusely for your kindness in showing the many people involved in Penguin Watch. I am especially glad to see you highlighted the important, humorous, and thoughtful efforts and posts from volunteers. You are one of many who contribute so much.

Thank you, thank you to @Hatschi and the other wonderful volunteers!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

I can only agree with my colleagues 😃 Thanks again, @Hatschi

Posted