Penguin Watch Talk

Identification

• Parklife by Parklife

I am happily clicking away on what seem to be mostly adults, unless obviously chicks. However, in some photos Im seeing what might be chicks but its not quite clear enough, and Im not sure- particularly where they are getting bigger. Is this a problem or does someone else check too?

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Interesting question @Parklife . The solution for marking is to simply 'mark as adult if unsure' . During later stages of their youth the chicks fledge. Often there are moulting parents stood around too, they look very similar. The scientists are happy with this system of marking.

Don't forget to delve into our wonderful treasure trove of information, including marking tips, breeding cycles, chicks versus adults, in the Frequently Asked Question section (FAQ)

And 'welcome' ! 😃

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Hi, @Parklife - I'll just chime in to mention your marks are compared to all others from the several people who mark each image. As long as you read and follow the Tutorial and FAQ as AvastMH mentioned in her excellent answer, and only mark what you're sure of, all is well.

It becomes easier the longer you use those resources and learn to understand what you see, but no one is perfect, so no worries. By reading questions and comments in the Talk section you may learn more than you ever thought possible just by reading and applying what you learn. 😃

I'm delighted you're "happily clicking away", and hope you continue to help the penguins in this very enjoyable way. Thanks for your comments.

Posted