Penguin Watch Talk

Not listed birds?

• flairycake by flairycake

The brown birds could be listed as a species of the other birds, however the black/white birds don't look quite like penguins? I may be wrong as there's no birds listed that look quite like them (at least to me) but they look too slender, long necked, and just.. not penguin shaped.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Well spotted flairycake 😃 In fact the brown birds and the other black and white ones are related. The black and white are adult cormorants, their chicks come in brown fluff. There's more about them in FAQ6.2 Basically pop a blue 'other' circle on them and just click 'OK' . We're working on some changes that might make cormorants easier to mark. They are also known as shags.

Take a few minutes to read through the FAQ - they are a treasure trove of marking tips and interesting information. 😃

Welcome to PW 😃

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Hello again, @flairycake. You'll want to read our FAQ to understand accurate marking. Let me help with this, though!

As you surmised, these are not penguins- mark this site with some patience though, because Gentoo penguins do also nest here.
    FAQ 6 explains that any unlisted animal is to be marked with the blue Other mark, then OK- don't select a species for the unlisted animals. 😃

The brown/dark long necked birds here are the young cormorants. Thank you for checking!

Posted