Penguin Watch Talk

Comparison of social organisation of Penguins to another animals

• Camung by Camung

Are they as complex as wolves and gorillas?

Thanks

Posted

• wildmonster by wildmonster

Hi, while we wait for the scientists to answer this interesting questions, here's a short article about the social structure of penguins:

http://www.penguins-world.com/penguin-social-structure/

It says that among BIRDS, penguins are considered "most social".

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Camung's comment.

Hi,

If I understood well what the scientists told me about that, penguins don't cooperate together as wolves do. There are no real leaders or followers in their colony. But their behaviour in the sea is unknown so there is a chance they cooperate somehow while foraging for food.

Hope this answers your question.

Zuzi

Posted

• GizmoMischief by GizmoMischief

The only co-operation I've seen between penguins is with the bonded pairs during breeding season - and the famous huddle with Emperor and King penguins during incubation. I don't remember reading anything about "herding" behaviour for foraging as some cetaceans do. However they do all seem to be remarkably tolerant of each other when they're so crowded at their nesting sites.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Given that penguins return to their nesting sites we might suppose that there are going to be some close genetic links within those nesting groups. Although an adult will only very actively support it's own chick in a creche, the idea of a few adults protecting the creche as a whole thereby allowing most parents to get away swimming, is a way of protecting that close genetic pool. But there's no business of alpha males/females which makes wolves/gorillas so very complex.

Posted