Penguin Watch Talk

Request: Viewing pictures in their temporal sequence?

• itsfullofstars by itsfullofstars translator

Hello,

I have seen quite a number of images by now, and I wonder if you could make it possible for volunteers to pick a certain location and view pictures in the temporal sequence they were taken (while placing marks, of course). I think that would make it far more interesting, because they could then see how the colony behaves during the day, and how it develops over time. That way, poeple could learn a lot more about penguin behavior, and maybe they will even spot interesting events that would otherwise be missed.
    I know this means more work for the web developers, but it might be something that keeps people interested in the project for a longer span of time. What do you think?

Best regards
    Sabine

Posted

• banthesun by banthesun

I know there's nothing like that presently, but some of us have been pulling together a collection of pics from a set of nests. We've been collecting them here: http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000002/discussions/DPZ0000e9d

Something like that would definitely be more helpful, but I'm not sure how likely it would be that they'd add that.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Hi guys,

Yes, it could be nice and interesting thing to have, but not feasible. Actually, Tom, one of the scientists, have created some time-lapses of some colonies already. You can see them on his youtube channel.

Since he's an extremely busy man, I can't tell whether and when there will be new ones available. But as @banthesun said, we've been collecting images from a rookery in a chronological order.. Hope there will be time for making it happen! 😃

Cheers,

Zuzi

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter

Hi all,

While I see the merit in what itsfullofstars suggests ... I also think that fewer people would actually stick at marking. Remembering that some sites are photographed frequently you would actually see little change between images which I would imagine could become mundane after a while. I for one enjoy the variety of not knowing what will pop up on my screen next and if I am wanting to follow a particular site I can save them of in my favourites. It would be an interesting option to do in the short term .... but I don't think there would be enough sites to go around all the keen markers !!! 😃

coldcounter

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to coldcounter's comment.

(Thanks for your post, @coldcounter .. Due to it I've just realized that I misunderstood the original post by @itsfullofstars )

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter in response to yshish's comment.

Hi yshish

Or maybe I have misunderstood 😦 but I took it to be that the person marking would lock onto a selected site and work through the images in a time progression to mark them .... Or maybe we are both wrong! 😃

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

I understand the point. And it is a dilemma. An enthusiastic marker would value working on one site and in temporal order for some time, perhaps dipping into other sites for a bit of a change. The problem comes when less enticing sites need to be dealt with, I'm thinking about sites where the sun is often direct into the camera and makes marking stressful. We would have to ensure that we didn't just end up with a month of slogging through those because it would not support volunteers staying with PW.

Gosh it's a tough one.

But I do wish that it would be possible to follow them in order at some point. So the URL of the pictures would run in order, but there would be randomising facility deciding which picture you get whilst marking.

Something to think about seriously for next year perhaps? It's good if we can respond to volunteers interests in order to support the project.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to coldcounter's comment.

Well, I'm pretty sure it was meant exactly as you understood it. (I was tired and the language barrier wasn't helpful).

I do believe that he scientists/Zookeepers have got reasons for their decision to serve the PW images mixed and in a random order. I don't think there will be a possibility to choose a specific locality to classify in a chronological order in future.

Posted