Penguin Watch Talk

camera locations

• GizmoMischief by GizmoMischief

Not sure this is the right board to ask this but, just wondering if there's a map showing coverage from the camera traps.. would be interesting to know how well covered a particular site is when there are clearly lots of little dots in the distance too far away to be counted by one particular camera?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to GizmoMischief's comment.

Hi @GizmoMischief

It is a very good question. Actually, there is no other map of camera locations available for this project than this one, displayed on the project Science page.

x

At this moment, there are images taken from even more locations than displayed, available for the classification (and more penguin species are monitored - Macaronis).

As for the camera locations, there are some big plans for the future but I'm afraid the scientists have left for their long time field work already, so we have to wait for their comeback to get known more! 😉

I'll keep it on my mind and will let you know as soon as there is more available!

Enjoy the counting 😃

Cheers
    Y.

Posted

• GizmoMischief by GizmoMischief

Thanks Y.... great to see the map even if it is incomplete. Now at least I can see where that colony is where I see Gentoos and Adelies together 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to GizmoMischief's comment.

Well, there should be more such mixed colonies. I'm not sure which ones are available in the current data set but there were surely some located on Petermann island.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

I'm wondering if you mean #Sooty, Gizmomischief? that's certainly on Petermann Island

On the way to finding a map of penguin sites on Petermann Id I found this highly amusing photo! 'Alfred the Adelie (or is that George the Gentoo?) is an old hand at camera shoots - and his left profile is certainly his best - and that's what you get folks!'
    enter image description here

Sadly couldn't find that map - I'll track it down...

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter

Kudos to the photographer who took the shot of the photographers (love the guy laying on the snow to get "that shot") 😃 and wasn't "fighting" for position .... Alfred/George may have them captivated but what about Wilma, and Fred and Betty and Barney and the rest of Boulder City over on the rock!! don't they deserve some attention too !!. 😃 😃

Posted

oh they pull pebbles out of a bag - the one that gets the pebble with the crack in it get's the day's photo shoot - it's the only fair way to do it. 😄

Posted

oh. of course. I hadn't realised. Do you think if I take some pebbles with me I could bribe them to pose ???? 😃 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to yshish's comment.

Hey, I've just received a reply from Caitlin to the camera-location-question. Here it is:

The map you linked is the most updated map we have. When we launch next spring we will add a more updated map. Look out for any new camera locations on our blog from the field in the next few months.

Posted

http://www.ats.aq/siteguidelines/documents/2014/Petermann Island_e.pdf here's that map of the penguin areas on Petermann! Hurrah! 😄

Posted

Hi again, @GizmoMischief

Dr. Tom has just replied to my email, saying hello from the Falklands to everyone here! 😃

The map from the Science page I posted in my first reply to your question is actually up to date for the currently classified data, but in march we’ll be launching an interactive map where you'll be able to go and investigate what is going on at each colony.

Sounds exciting, doesn't it? 😃

Cheers,

Zuzi

Posted

Can't wait .... interactive maps sounds too good to be true 😃 😃 😃

Posted

That's really good news Yshish - thanks to Dr Tom and the developers 😄

Posted

• Natureview by Natureview

Would it be possible to show the location of the picture when you count an image? It's nice to see what you're looking at (especially as I probably know several of the sites).

Regards,

Arjen
    www.natureview.nl

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Hi, @Natureview . We have a location map on the Science Board Study site locations showing some of the locations, but there are now over 100 sites. At this time we cannot show maps with each image- just not possible given the nature and scope of the work. It would be nice!

Posted

• Natureview by Natureview

Yeah, I saw that map, a bit to rough to see exactly. It would be nice to have the name of the site in the picture, but I can see that's a lot of work and not many people would know where the sites are anyway.

Thanks though!

Arjen
    www.natureview.nl

Posted

Somewhere on the web (can;t seem to find it just now - frustrating) is a map of the peguin colonies on Petermann - Perhaps through the British Antarctic Survey site? It shows a long ridge towards the North of the Island and it seems to be the right shape for this long-ish ridge (our pictures only show about a third of that group)

Posted

Here's one PDF showing a map of penguin colonies on Petermann, as part of a study of the effect of human traffic on the rookeries.

Population trends and reproductive success at a frequently visited
    penguin colony on the western Antarctic Peninsula

Posted

From October 2015: "...The map from the Science page I posted in my first reply to your question is actually up to date for the currently classified data, but in march we’ll be launching an interactive map where you'll be able to go and investigate what is going on at each colony. "

@yshish : I wonder if progress has been made in this effort? 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

No idea how far it is, nor whether it is going to be part of the current PW or planned for being used some other way, outside of this page.

Posted

OK. Thanks.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

Actually, I remember Dr. Tom mentioning they're building an interface where people participating in the project are going to be able to see results of their activity, and he said that it's going to be ready soon. I guess the interactive map could be part of that new interface.

Well, we'll see once it is ready 😃

Posted

Wouldn't that be wonderful! Thank you. 😃

Posted