Penguin Watch Talk

FAQs_discuss

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

A heartfelt thanks to all involved in making the shiny new FAQ section. Much needed, it will help us all do a good job classifying and counting. I'm looking forward to the future changes and additions you all have up your sleeves!
    😃

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

Gardenmaeve -please let us know if you think of anything we should add.

Zuzi - would it be possible to move the FAQ thread to the HELP board, rather than the science one? Then they would appear as featured help topics, for people who go to the help board?

N&P

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Nickypeng's comment.

Hi,

NP. Hope it won't make a problem with linking them to the classification page since I have already asked for making that happen!

Zuzi

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

OK, so I've just moved them under the Help and featured them all and informed Darren about the change.

They seem to appear under the both boards now (Science and Help) but I don't consider it a problem at all.

Have to go back to work.. Will come later tonight.

Z.

Posted

Great - I was looking at the discussion board page when it popped up under Help! Magic

Can you read Cyrillic script?
    This bloke is making comments in Cyrillic

Johnny67

I fed his comments into Google translate – they seem like genuine comments (I was afraid it might be something obscene) but the translation is not good enough to know quite what he is asking
    Google translation

Posted

Ah - not to worry - I see that you and Joan are already onto it

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Nickypeng's comment.

Yes, I can a bit. It is similar to my language however we don't use such an alphabet:) But the translator should work for you. I am at work waiting for a meeting. Will try to answer as much as I can while waiting and will continue at night when get back home.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to yshish's comment.

The ticket is still up. I'll poke a few devs tomorrow and see if we can get it up there. Thanks!!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

A link to the FAQs is now on the top bar of the site.

Posted

Hello, DZM. I see it- on the Classify page! Thank you.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to DZM's comment.

So cool!! Many thanks 😃

Z.

Posted

These suggestions have been re-posted here at yshish's request for future improvements. They were originally in the "Helping Volunteers" thread.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    by gardenmaeve

Hi, AvastMH. Thanks for your encouragement. I can remember Zuzi helping me on one early on, but it was some time before I even knew to look for a reply OR a message... and I have been active online for years. We expect users who come here to be very adept with a computer and all common practices on a site of this kind, but I have observed that is most often not the case.

by yshish moderator in response to gardenmaeve's comment

Hey,

It really is a problem but the Talk isn't very intuitive and lots of users simply don't know where to look for the information they need. Actually, most of the users have never come back after they try the classification (telling by the stats) and will never read the answers even if there were a notification feature for that! 😦 (which would be a very useful feature for the new Talk btw, hope @DZM reads this!😃

But yes, we could ask Darren whether it would be possible to put a note about 'follow' possibility to the 'talk about the image' question (which would take a long time to make it happen since the developers are extremely busy at this time.) We could, at least, mention the possibility to check your last post on your Profile page and recent classifications to the FAQs. We had it in the full version of FAQs but I think it should be included in the short one too.

Will edit them tonight since Joan made some useful changes and shortened them a bit.

Thank you for your awesome help on the board!! You're awesome 😃

Z.
    Posted 3 hours ago
    by mkmcguir

Maybe you could add a note in the tutorial... at least do a screen shot of the talk page and show the different parts?

Posted an hour ago
    by Nickypeng moderator

mkmcguir - Thats a great idea

DZM how hard would it be to include another page or two in the tutorial.

N&P

Posted an hour ago
    by gardenmaeve

Yes, a great suggestion, @mkmsguir... (and thanks for lending a hand with new visitors' questions.)

Thinking along those lines, I've wished for a screen shot of a marked image to be part of the tutorial and/or FAQs. Perfection would be to have several with references to the FAQs, but one would give a good start.

Posted an hour ago
    by gardenmaeve

Incidentally, the best training I had when I first came to this project occurred once I found out what the "Recent" tab was about. That's where I could see the image along with the various comments from moderators and the kinds of questions volunteer counters were asking. So my advice for new counters is

1.Study as many of those images in "Recent" as possible to learn the process and get many good answers to questions before you even start marking.
    2.Take time to explore the site to learn where information, FAQs, and replies and messages will be found.

Posted 42 minutes ago
    by mkmcguir

Once I figured out the recent tab (which is the best place to start), it helped me the most also.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hi yshish - just realized I'm a bit light on info about humans - tents and equipment etc This came in:
    http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/subjects/APZ000452p

We had this exchange 3 months back but I don't recall the answer: http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/subjects/APZ0003kfq
    I'm sure we don't mark it, but just can't trace where I've seen that conclusion.

thanks!

Joan

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to AvastMH's comment.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay with my reply, I was too busy.

We discussed that through private emails. We did include it in the complex version of the FAQs. I just didn't include it in the short version we published on the Help board.. But you're right it should be there so I've added it there and made some changes based on the call with Tom and Caitlin. I'll probably will add some more or so on.. during the following days.

Z..

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Making a thick line as we have just uploaded new FAQs! So any comments above this line are not corresponding to the actual documents.

If you had any questions or suggestions or other comments on the new document, you can share them here:

Posted