Penguin Watch Talk

Information/item searches. Terms to use.

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Important point.   Please ask a Moderator to place a hashtag on a picture if you think it is important, do not place a hashtag yourself. The exception to this is #repeated (see below). Thank you.

If we use a lot of hashtags the search facility becomes unreliable so it is often best to make yourself a collection (click 'collect' on the picture) instead. Then you can easily show off your finds to family and friends and teachers 😃 The popular hashtags are so popular that the 'search' will find hundreds of them, and that is another good reason to 'collect' good pictures for yourself.

This thread is, except for #marching, just for our own interest as volunteers. the scientists have not requested these! Hopefully it will not become too big a list. Some items occur that will NOT be popular enough to appear in the 'Popular' list. We can store those here.

The spelling and formats are not always standard, so you could try some alternative spellings, for example #darkfeet or #dark_feet, #behaviour or #behavior.

Interesting to our scientists (from a specific set of pictures - see the example):

• #marching - penguins seen marching in a long line, one behind other like here APZ0004hdj PLEASE - ask us if you can use this ("Is this the 'marching' that is hashtagged?") so tht we keep this as a very special tag. Thank you!

Technical problems with the pictures

• #repeated. - used where you find that you have already marked a picture. You will probably only notice this because you comment on the picture, and discover that you commented on it some time ago. Please use this hashtag as a comment on that picture, and report it to a moderator: @yshish or @gardenmaeve or @AvastMH

Behaviour (Thank you to Moderators @gardenmaeve & @yshish for so many of the following:)

• #behaviour - used for an interesting behaviour, can be combined together with feeding, pebblers etc. There is a tag group for behaviour, collecting them all into a single collection
      automatically.
    • #dead - used for animals which are definitely dead (blood, shrunken being eaten.. etc, not for chicks having a nap, pretending not to be alive 😉
    • #ecstatic and #display - used to note these behaviours which celebrate a partnership or brooding or chick hatching etc ()
    • #feeding - unfortunately have been used for both feeding chicks (by parents) and feeding on chicks (predation)
    • #hatching egg
    • #injury or #injured (penguins with a wound, bleeding, broken flipper etc.) - not for penguins red from their poo
    • #leucistic or #albino - used for completely white penguins (albino) or those who are very pale on their back/head (leucistic) like here APZ0003acn
    • #mating penguins (other animals)
    • #marching - penguins seen marching in a long line, one behind other like here APZ0004hdj (See note above! - not to be used without checking)
    • #moulting penguins
    • #nest_builder From May 2016 we have new pictures of Northern Gentoos living in grassy areas. They use seaweed/grass to form nests. APZ0009abu
    • #nesting
    • #outofseason - shows nesting out of season, when others are moulting for example ()
    • #pathway - A Search list of pathways trampled into the snow by penguins.
    • #pebble or #pebbler - used for penguins carrying a pebble in their beak, or trying to steal/pick up one
    • #preening animals

Interesting objects/appearances

• #AllAboutLight to track special images with beautiful lighting- on behalf of those of us who enjoy beautiful images
    • #darkfeet - use where you see a penguin with unusually dark feet (might be mud, but might be skin colouring), see top left penguin here APZ0005tp9
    • #green_poop - sometimes a sign of difficult feeding times - the pengs eat algae instead of fish/krill, possibly shown here (centre of the picture) APZ0008n9e
    • #injury or #injured (penguins with a wound, bleeding, broken flipper etc.) - not for penguins red from their poo
    • #leucistic, #albino, or #isabellanism - used for completely white penguins (albino) or those who are very pale on their back/head (leucistic) like here APZ0003acn. Isabellanism is seen when the coloured feathers are palid.
    • #pengfun - if you see something amusing (naughty theft of pebbles from other nests for example) then feel free to mark it 😃
    • #poopart - used for penguins doing a poo, or interesting poo stains, Pollock-like art made of poo, or penguins hit by that
    • #sea_ice - We sometimes see spectacular sea ice formations, like pancake ice (#Egg_Rock with pancake ice in view) and floating hippos/LochNess Monsters (Hippo/Monster at #Nessie_Line).
    • #tailfeather
    • #tinychick for those, but if it is not used by others, let it fade away.

The different sites

Currently seen:

Sites not currently seen:

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Here are some more which could be useful for others too:

Posted

Cool! Thank you very much. Please, sort them by their meanings, use some headings and add some inscription to each, if it isn't too much work for you. I have no idea what those location hashtag words are used for and can't recognize them from other hashtags. I don't understand the meaning of most of those words. I know what Ice age or dragon head or booth island means, but not the others 😛 and not sure what is dragon head in the PW context, nor the ice age. And I believe I am not the only one here 😄

For those I used, the inscription would be:

• #marching - penguins seen marching in a long line, one behind other like here APZ0004hdj
    • #pebble or #pebbler - used for penguins carrying a pebble in their beak, or trying to steal/pick up one
    • #poopart - used for penguins doing a poo, or interesting poo stains, Pollock-like art made of poo, or penguins hit by that
    • #dead - used for animals which are definitely dead (blood, shrunken being eaten.. etc, not for chicks having a nap, pretending not to be alive 😉
    • #feeding - unfortunately have been used for both feeding chicks (by parents) and feeding on chicks (predation)
    • #leucistic or #albino - used for completely white penguins (albino) or those who are very pale on their back/head (leucistic) like here APZ0003acn
    • #behaviour - used for an intersting behaviour, can be combined together with feeding, pebblers etc. There is a tag group for behaviour, collecting them all into a single collection automatically.

These should be obvious:

Posted

Hi Yshish - THANKS!! for all of those hashtags - great 😄 I certainly will put those descriptions in...and link them to the pictures of our sites with the names on. I've got a few lined up already - I think it would be best to set up another Discussion Board for them (in fact I think there's an old one hanging around. What do you think?
    😃

Posted

I don't remember any DB for hashtags, but we could put it under the FAQs one, as a new thread. The name could be List of preferred hashtags so it wouldn't look like there are all of them (being collected automatically etc). What do you think? What @gardenmaeve think? And we should lock the thread. There is a FAQs discuss thread opened for anyone who would like to comment 😉

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator in response to yshish's comment.

I see what you mean Yshish - but I hoped for this list to be seen easily. If only we could control the 'popular' hashtag section of the discussion window 😦 Let's wait and see what gardenmaeve thinks 😃

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter

Can I just say I LOVE the concept ... I compiled a "site" list for a new PWer I introduced with sample pics which I know they found helpful. Personally I rarely use the hashtag for anything other than the site but remember the confusion that #darkfeet #muddyfeet #dark_feet caused a little while ago and I always question myself if I have them "right" in format and having the right words for consistency will be fabulous. The one line explanation of usuage/derivation extremely beneficial. I actually think that once you have a definitive list that keen PWers will printout the hashtag preferred list and have it beside their computers or in a separate window to refer to as they go with their comments etc. @AvastMH .... you have left out #Polepuddle in your sites 😃

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

I asked about an organized list of helpful hashtags over a year ago- hashtags

I'm in favor of having the list where all can see it as we are classifying, and I see value in using scientist-preferred forms to streamline the search process. I'm OK with locking whatever place they are to be placed, and hope improvements/additions for items of significant use to be added as needed. Does that help?

Posted

Another thought- I agree the location nickname hashtags can be useful in comparisons between images, but also agree it is confusing without a clear image of each nicknamed location in a separate thread in FAQs.

Thank you for working this through! 😃

Posted

Thanks so much coldcounter and gardenmaeve (ouch!! - I'm sorry it's been such a wait gardenmaeve!). I'm working on pics of the site (thanks for pointing out the missing polepuddle) and I'll link those up. I've divided the picture into boxes so that it's easy to say 'That exotic Amazonian Parrot is at the far corner of box 6' (haha 😄 )

Still thinking about the best place to put it though. Yshish is right to put it in FAQ - and the site pictures along with them. It is more difficult to change the FAQs though.. Yshish - what shall we do? 😃 I've changed the title as you suggested = very good change. 😃

Posted

I'm interested in the very young chicks, so have used #tinychick for those, but if it is not used by others, let it fade away. 😃

Posted

Well, I moved this thread under the FAQs :] Feel free to put it back..

Posted

I'm using #AllAboutLight to track special images with beautiful lighting- on behalf of those of us who enjoy beautiful images and particularly for volunteer @coldcounter while away on a trip to Antarctica.

Posted

We know now this has been moved to FAQs. 😃

What about #pathway...didn't we use that?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

Yes, you did 😃 http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/search?tags[pathway]=true

Posted

I will try to tidy these up at the weekend...sorry - got distracted by OldWeather's new projects 😦

Posted

Thanks, yshish and AvastMH!

You've been busy. 😃

Posted

#sea_ice might also be useful.

Posted

There are 0 results for that hashtag. Didn't we use another keyword for them?

Posted

Very likely, @yshish. Perhaps we didn't use a tag at all, just the words??

Posted

I've used #ecstatic and #display several times.

Posted

Have we made a nickname and tag for the Kings' long stretch with tussock grass hill?

Posted

No we don't actually - any suggestions? 😃

Posted

Kings_Highway

Posted

If it is any help I am almost 99.9% positive that this camera is set up at Salisbury Plain on South Georgia. ..... I stood in between those two humps of tussock grass in the background!! Wonder if it will pick that up in time to come... stood there for long enough!! 😃 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to coldcounter's comment.

I'm sorry I have no idea what camera did you mean by that. Could you send an image example, please?

Posted

I will work out how to put in images and give you more info soon but I was referring to the image that we constantly get of the king penguins and their chicks with the tussocks in the background. And we were told there was cameras in position up on the hill where we weren't allowed to go as it would disturb the colony too much to get there. 😃
    Salisbury plain in south Georgia.
    Coldcounter

Posted

Hi Yshish,
    I'm also sure that this must be Salisbury Plain, South Georgia. It is this group:

enter image description here

Here's a picture taken up into those hills from the beach. I searched very hard to see if there was a visible camera, but no luck:

enter image description here

@gardenmaeve Kings_Highway looks good to me. Yshish, I'll explain that name because it is a very odd fact that all of the roads in the United Kingdom belong to the Queen and are known properly as The Queen's Highway. Because she owns it she could drive in any way that she liked. Of course she is very law abiding, she never drives outside the law. Before the Queen sat on the throne we had a King and the roads were therefore the 'King's Highway'.

Posted

Also- I once lived far out in the country, near an old road by that name. 😃

Posted

Aha! Well - that's a good reason @gardenmaeve 😄

Posted

Yes, these are from SG for sure.

Posted

We were also using #reindeer and #red #deer then #johny #rook and #turkey #vulture and #seal

Posted

That's true. All the things we did a year ago seem terribly distant now. I'll update the hashtag list on Saturday. It's Fridaaay tomorrow! 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to AvastMH's comment.

And hopefully, there are some more other animals (like seals) in the incoming data set! 😉

Posted

Unless we get old data we perhaps won't have any need for #reindeer and #red #deer as I was told that they are simply no deer left on South Georgia now and haven't been for over twelve months..... will be interesting to see 😃 😃

Posted

We'll still want the tags to refer to in answering questions. If not needed later, they can be edited. 😉 The cull has been an ongoing effort over years. (More information here deer cull )

Posted

The list of used keywords is good thing to have even for the old data. Then we will always know what exact keywords were used and so we could search for them if necessary.

Posted

Interesting discussion. I also favour keeping the old tags in case they become useful again, and also to record the history of the project.

It crossed my mind that we have not seen last year's sites very much because there was a plan to teach computers how to spot penguins based on what we marked. So perhaps last year's sites are mostly being marked electronically? 😃

Posted

Guess we'll need to ask Dr. Tom and Dr. Caitlin. 😃 I'm not sure how far along that project may have gotten.

Posted

I agree about keeping the old tags for history (the archivist in me coming out) .... we just may not need them to tag anything in the future if their eradication program has been 100% successful ..... and as for the computers doing OUR job !! (shock / horror) ...... they'll still have to have random quality control checks by us mere mortals won't they 😃 😃

Posted

Care with hashtags! Changing to using collections

A BIT OF HELP FROM YOU kind volunteers would help us just now. It's really useful to mark things with hashtags - where it is something exceptional or odd. Instead of using hashtags a lot, please remember that you can make COLLECTIONS of your best pictures for you to enjoy and to help yourself.

Each picture as a mark in the top left corner: 'Collect'. Click on that and select 'start a new collection'. Wait until the next page turns up. Give your collection a title ('Eggs' or 'Preening', whatever groups you would like to collect) and a description (and that can just be the same as the title if you wish). If you are adding to a collection click 'collect' and then just select the group from your drop-down list.

To get back to your collections just click on your name and it will take you to your profile page where you can find your recent comments and any personal messages and those wonderful collections.
    You can also find good collections by clicking on someone else's name. Yshish and gardenmaeve both have instructive collections.

Thank you everyone 😃 Happy counting 😃

Posted

• Singing_Ginger by Singing_Ginger

Thank you @AvastMH I was wondering how to add to my collections.

Posted

Care with hashtags! Changing to using collections
    A BIT OF HELP FROM YOU kind volunteers would help us just now. It's really useful to mark things with hashtags - where it is something exceptional or odd. Instead of using hashtags a lot, please remember that you can make COLLECTIONS of your best pictures for you to enjoy and to help yourself.

With this effort in mind for easy searching and accurate information, I've edited my Tiny Chick collection to remove the #tinychick tag. I think only one other person used it, so it's not serving a purpose. In its place I'll use the words "tiny chick" without the hash mark, since the best examples I find will be in the collection any way. 😃

Posted

Hi Singing_Ginger. I see you've been building your collection stock 😄
    Don't forget that you can check everyone's collections, like @gardenmaeve's Collection Hints for New Penguin Counters! here: http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/collections/CPZS0001b3

I probably have too many and should spend time rationalising mine...but they are so much fun to drift through 😃

Happy counting and collecting 😄

Posted

I've done some housekeeping with several of my collections, including removing tags I used earlier that have proven themselves to not be helpful for the Search function. Next I'll go through Hints for New Penguin Counters to make sure all are indeed useful and marked with care.

Favourites was my first collection, and I probably don't need all of the images now. 😉 Finally, Penguin Poetry is fluid, and includes images with associated poems as well as some images for possible future inspiration.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to AvastMH's comment.

Just an important note..

If you use @ symbol and then write a user name, it works as a link to this user's profile. But it's critical to keep all the letters as they are - capitals as capitals, lower cases as lower cases, and(!) not to add any more symbols there, like: ',.!:"(); etc.

So @AvastMH if you edit your post and remove the 's behind gardenmaeve's name, it will work as a link to her profile with her collections! .)

(I noticed you have been using it wrongly before but never remembered to correct you, sorry!)

Posted

Thank you for that clarification, @yshish !

gardenmaeve

Posted

Isn't it easy to fall into ordinary English when you mean to speak 'IT' instead 😉 well spotted and thanks for pointing that out 😃

Posted

Did I miss the species names in the hashtag list? Occasionally they are useful.

Posted

We used species tags mostly for other animals but all of these can be included:

Posted