Penguin Watch Talk

Enlarging photographs

• gtedbury by gtedbury

The clarity of some of the photographs is not too good, and it would help if one could enlarge the whole photograph rather than just the area in the "target". It would also help in some cases if one could increase the contrast.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Yes gtedbury - agreed. Now - because we want all of the pictures to be assessed in a standard way we don't increase the magnification any further. Having said that, if you have a larger computer screen it's easier. But there is no other way of increasing it unless you have a very clever program. I would say that you should use the standard approach:

Distant penguins: mark one if you can, or more if possible. Submit it as 'too many to count'.

Is it a chick or adult? If you are not sure mark it as an adult - that's our rule.

the FAQs on bad images and chicks/adults are here and can help more: https://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000007/

Thank you for your query gtedbury - please do ask for more help if I have not covered this sufficiently 😃

Posted

Sorry gtedbury - contrast you asked about...see what your computer screen can do ONE very handy bit of advice is that you should find a nice piece of black card to cover any very bright bits of sky as this helps your eyes to cope better.

Posted

• christy77 by christy77 translator

Could you post t the background photos wich are blurred and blow them up so it would be easier?

Posted

Hi christy77! Well that would be easier to see things, but it would not be good for the way the mapping works. Each of your pictures makes a map in the data computer and we don't get to see those. It means that we cannot take copies, mark them and send them back. In fact it is important not to change the size or the data maps could not work.

DON'T worry about things being difficult to see. It's just the same for all of us. 😄

What you need to do is simply mark the penguins that you are sure you can see. If some are a long way off and too close together to mark you should mark at least one of them and then finish with 'too many to mark'.

If you think there are distant penguins but you are just not properly sure, don't mark them at all.

About 10 people mark each picture so all will be well 😃

There is a really good list of tips here: https://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000007/discussions/DPZ0000aay

Thanks for helping count penguins!

Posted

• grannieannie by grannieannie

When I started marking the target didn't automatically zoom to enlarge the penquin but now the target circle is zooming in every time I click a penquin. This means I have to click twice to reduce the zoom and move to another bird. It also makes it difficult to select penquins on the edge of photos. Have I done something to set this? Is there a way to get back to one-click marking? Thanks

I have now signed in through Google Chrome instead of Firefox and the issue has gone away.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator in response to grannieannie's comment.

Hi again, @grannieannie. Let me see if I understand.

Usually, the target circle normally will enlarge whatever you have clicked on. When you click again on another penguin the first circle vanishes and the next item is enlarged. If you need to see other penguins in the area you can click the little magnifying glass on the side of the target circle.

When marking large groups or distant areas you can make use of the "Hide all marks" tool to see what you've missed in marking, then click it again to continue marking.

Can you please try this and tell me if you are still having trouble?

Thanks so much. We want everyone to have success!

Posted

• grannieannie by grannieannie in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

Hi, sorry that is not the way it was working for me. When I clicked to mark the penquin the target immediately enlarged but I could not move to mark another penquin until i clicked the magnifying glass icon on the first penquin. It was as if the screen froze. I am now using Chrome and it has not had the same problem.

Posted

Hi grannieannie. Great to hear that all is now well. We have had problems with FF recently - so good that you swapped to another browser. Let us know if any other troubles arise 😄

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Thanks for letting us know. @grannieannie . It's interesting, I've not had that problem with FF.

Posted