Penguin Watch Talk

Joining as a school

• UWCRobertBoschCollege by UWCRobertBoschCollege

Could you let me know how our school could get involved - I saw no link to contact, though this is mentioned as the method to register on the sign in page...

Thanks for any help with this.

Helen

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hello Helen I can certainly tell you. I just need to contact Tom Hart (our lead scientists) to check on that. We really do want to encourage youngsters - especially with International Penguin day looming on the 25th April.

Posted

• Tlcross1987 by Tlcross1987

i'd
    also like to join as a school.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Hello, Helen. I'll send you a Private Message asking for contact information, and we'll be happy to help you set it up.

Welcome!
    gardenmaeve

Posted

• UWCRobertBoschCollege by UWCRobertBoschCollege

Wonderful, thanks!!

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator in response to Tlcross1987's comment.

Hello Tlcross1987's.
    Excellent - you're on the list! I'm just waiting for Tom hart to get back to me. It's all happened quickly so I apologize for this hiccup. I'm very excited by the new set-up for schools and want to get it going too.

April 25th is World Penguin Day. I'm sure that many schools will want to have some good interesting findings by then 😃

Posted

• DrGreenwell by DrGreenwell

Hi
    I would also like to get my school involved but cannot find the information required to sign up as a school. Many thanks. Felicity

Posted

Good evening, DrGreenwell,

We'll add you to our list and make sure you get the information you need to join us. For tonight, busy as it is, let me send you a Private Message (see the envelope top right on this page?) to gather your contact information so we can pass it along to the right people. Thank you for your interest.
    Gardenmaeve

Posted

• RobertsCS by RobertsCS

Hi,
    I would also like to have more information about joining as a school. I haven't discussed it with the other teachers at school yet but wanted some more information first. Also, what would be the youngest age to participate? With adult supervision of course. I saw primary aged children participating in the news.
    Any more information would be great. Thanks, Charlotte

Posted

Hello Charlotte! Thanks for dropping us a note. I'm just waiting for instructions from Tom Hart. You're on our list. We're happy to send information - it will help you to discuss whether you can join. Well - what age? Our youngest ir pierce who is two years old - he takes over from his sister Annika who is an elderly four years old. We ran out of pictures once and the whole team worked very quickly to reinstate some old pictures to dry up the tears as they went to bed with no pictures to mark with dad. Annika at three with her school project a year or so ago: http://daily.zooniverse.org/2015/02/24/meet-annika-our-youngest-zooite/ So you'll be fine! By the way it's World Penguin Day on April25th.

Hopefully back this morning with news 😃

Best wishes

Joan (AvastMH)

Posted

• HGill by HGill

Hello, We would also like to join up as a school. Thank you, Helen

Posted

Hi Helen - right! Good! I will drop you a note via the personal message system (tiny envelope top right of this window).

I'm still waiting for Dr Hart to reply with the system for joining. But equally I can just pass your details to him. Thank you so much for getting in contact! 😃

Best wishes, Joan (AvastMH)

Posted

• MrRand4 by MrRand4

I would also like to be added to the list of potential school accounts. This is a wonderful project and we would love to help out!

Posted

Hello Mrand4. Thank you, that really is very helpful. I will send you a personal message (check the little envelope in the top right corner of your window in a couple of minutes) to catch some details. I will pass them onto Dr Hart. Please do keep in touch with me to let me know how your project goes or if you do not hear quickly from Dr Hart (although I think that life has been very busy since yesterday's BBC news propgramme!).

thank you again 😄

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Hello everyone,

As for signing up a school for Penguin Watch, the best way is to create a single account to share the whole class/school. There are some advantages/disadvantages for that option:

1. Your students won't be able to see their own contribution but a contribution for all students using that account.
    2. If they use the Talk, no one will able to recognize what student made what post.
    3. But it is the easiest way in comparison to other options.

The other option are:

• to create multiple logins, e. g. NameOfTheSchool-Student1, NameOfTheSchool-Student2, etc.
    • to get them to sign up under their own user names (with parent permission)

I have an experience with the single account shared with the whole class and it worked perfectly. The ones who wanted to see their contribution then created their own accounts anyway.

If you're interested in adopting a colony, here are the details: Penguin Lifelines

Feel free to send me a personal message if you wanted to discuss the details.

Thanks for your help! We're happy to hear you're about to get your class included! 😃

Cheers,
    Zuzi

Posted

• hindbjorgen by hindbjorgen

I would also like to register a school group please.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to hindbjorgen's comment.

Hi @hindbjorgen

Are you a teacher or a student?

edit: Please, check out AvastMH's post on the following page of this thread to get the details what to do. Thanks and sorry for any confusions.

Cheers, Z.

Posted

• MikeScruby by MikeScruby

Hi, not sure if I'm in the right place but I am also interested in further information about joining as a school. Could you let me have further details. Many thanks, Mike

Posted

Hello Mike - you are certainly in the right place. We're just waiting for the details from Dr Hart. He's been a bit busy since the BBC News article 😃

I will drop you a personal message to collect some details (keep an eye on the envelope in the top right corner, nit should show a '1' next to it in about five minutes.

Thanks for getting in touch. It's exciting to think of so many schools helping! 😃

Posted

• roseacre by roseacre

Hi,

I am also interested in joining as a school - great chance for kids to participate with a real science project. Can you please add me to the list?

Many thanks,
    Emily

Posted

• Stradbroke by Stradbroke

Hi. I would also be interested in joining as a school! I have already set up a generic account for the children to use but do I need to do anything else?
    Thanks,
    Hannah

Posted

Welcome, Hannah. Thanks for asking. You've done the most important part- I'm guessing you're the teacher? Right now we're waiting to hear from Dr. Hart if there are any changes to procedure for this next data set.

I highly recommend that all teachers and administrators planning to steer their students through Penguin Watch need to really study the FAQs and try some classification yourself. Otherwise it is difficult for you to help all those eager minds if you yourself haven't had a chance to see how things work.

Let us know if we can help you access and apply the information in FAQs, and as soon as we get the word that everything is ready for your students we'll let you know here.

Again, welcome from Penguin Watch!
    Gardenmaeve

Posted

• FICS by FICS

Hi there,
    I'd like more info about signing up as a school too, especially as I'm based at a school in the Falkland Islands and I saw you have two sites here. Any info would be useful and I'll try to get my science club involved.
    Thanks!
    Linda

Posted

Oh my Linda! You're in the right place! I will send you a personal message (check the little envelope in the top right corner) in about 5 minutes. Thanks for getting in touch 😄

Posted

Message from Dr Tom Hart 11th April 2106:

Hi Folks,

Are you interested in being part of penguin watch as a school class or organisation?
    We’re getting through the first round of Penguin Watch data- it’s amazing and it’s doing the job we wanted, which is to revolutionise the collection and processing of penguin data from the Southern Ocean – to disentangle the threats of climate change, fishing and direct human disturbance. The data are clearly excellent, but we’re now trying to automate processing them so that results can more rapidly influence policy.

![enter image description here](http://i.imgur.com/u01TXn5.png?1)

We’re building an interface so that as people participate, they will be able to see the results of their activity. It’s not ready yet, but it will be soon. In the meanwhile, we can create accounts so that your school focuses on one particular colony and we send you the results of that manually.

Please email Tom Hart at tom.hart@zoo.ox.ac.uk
    We’d like to know the size of your class, if there is any special topic and the likely start date. Then we can allocate you a colony and we can give you information specific to you and data to demonstrate what your class has contributed to.

Kind Regards,
    Tom

Dr Tom Hart, Penguinologist.
    Department of Zoology,
    University of Oxford

[www.penguinwatch.org](http://www.penguinwatch.org)
    [www.penguinlifelines.org](http://www.penguinlifelines.org)

Dear Stradbroke ; FICS ; UWCRobertBoschCollege ; Tlcross1987 ; HGill ; MrRand4 ; hindbjorgen ; MikeScruby ; roseacre ;  DrGreenwell ; RobertsCS  I have posted you more details to your personal message box (click on the small envelope at the top right of this page). Many thanks, Joan

Posted

• _Suus by _Suus

Hi! Just to make sure - schools from all over the world can join in, right?
    (I'm writing for a Dutch/Belgian audience about this project)

Posted

Hi _Suus, I hope so! I will write more in a minute or 5 - apologies! 😃

Sorry - had some other duties to attend to. I think that you should email Dr Hart directly to find out if you can join in. I don't know of any restriction so do please provide the information requested to him. I hope, very much, that he is able to accommodate your school within the project.

With kind regards, Joan (AvastMH)

Posted

• _Suus by _Suus

Thank you for this answer Joan, I will send him an email 😃

Posted

Thanks _Suus! I do hope it is a 'yes'! 😃

Posted

• lrayneraphs by lrayneraphs

Hi,

I would also like to register our school.

Thanks,
    Leigh

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator in response to lrayneraphs's comment.

Hello Leigh and welcome to PW!

Dr Hart has requested that you contact him directly with your request and some details. Here is his message from the 11th April:

Are you interested in being part of penguin watch as a school class or organisation? We’re getting through the first round of Penguin Watch data- it’s amazing and it’s doing the job we wanted, which is to revolutionise the collection and processing of penguin data from the Southern Ocean – to disentangle the threats of climate change, fishing and direct human disturbance. The data are clearly excellent, but we’re now trying to automate processing them so that results can more rapidly influence policy.

We’re building an interface so that as people participate, they will be able to see the results of their activity. It’s not ready yet, but it will be soon. In the meanwhile, we can create accounts so that your school focuses on one particular colony and we send you the results of that manually.

Please email Tom Hart at tom.hart@zoo.ox.ac.uk We’d like to know the size of your class, if there is any special topic and the likely start date. Then we can allocate you a colony and we can give you information specific to you and data to demonstrate what your class has contributed to.

Kind Regards, Tom

Dr Tom Hart, Penguinologist. Department of Zoology, University of Oxford

~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you and best wishes, AvastMH

Posted

• LocharronPrimary1-4 by LocharronPrimary1-4

Hi,

I would also like to join as a school as would my friend.

I have a primary 1-4 class in scotland who would be very interested in adopting a penguin colony and taking part in your interesting research 😃

Hannah Earnshaw

Posted

Hello LocharronPrimary1-4! I thought you might and just sent a message to you, but as you are here - please apply directly to Dr Hart with the information he requests. Here is his message from a few days back:

Are you interested in being part of penguin watch as a school class or organisation? We’re getting through the first round of Penguin Watch data- it’s amazing and it’s doing the job we wanted, which is to revolutionise the collection and processing of penguin data from the Southern Ocean – to disentangle the threats of climate change, fishing and direct human disturbance. The data are clearly excellent, but we’re now trying to automate processing them so that results can more rapidly influence policy.

Please email Tom Hart at tom.hart@zoo.ox.ac.uk We’d like to know the size of your class, if there is any special topic and the likely start date. Then we can allocate you a colony and we can give you information specific to you and data to demonstrate what your class has contributed to.

Kind Regards, Tom;  Dr Tom Hart, Penguinologist. Department of Zoology, University of Oxford

I hope you will enjoy PW 😃

Posted

• Cfranklin by Cfranklin

I also would like to sign my classes up and would like info.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Cfranklin's comment.

Hi,

Just check out the post above yours, there are all the info you need .)

Cheers!
    Z.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator in response to AvastMH's comment.

Just a brief reminder to schools that the information you need is shown in my message above (April 13th). Thank you. If you wish to join please feel welcome to send me a personal message if you have any further questions. Click my name to go to my page and send the message - thank you again.

Posted