Penguin Watch Talk

Problem

• PenguinPenguin by PenguinPenguin

I can't click on any of the penguins. Help.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hello PenguinPenguin! I am really sorry that you caught us during a break. HOW ARE YOU DOING NOW??

Still having trouble? I need to know these details so I can ask the IT folk for help:
    What type of machine are you using? (Desk-Computer/laptop (Apple or what?)/tablet/android phone)
    What Browser are you using? go to this site: https://whatbrowser.org/ and note the exact type (name and version number)
    What program you are using (Ubuntu/AppleMac/IBM/Windows etc)

Thank you - I hope we can get you marking as soon as possible! 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to PenguinPenguin's comment.

Hi,

Just one more question... Have you answered the 1st question whether there are any animals present in the picture before trying to mark penguins. Before answering the 1st question it is impossible to place any marks in the picture.

Thanks, and sorry for the troubles.

Posted

• rhani by rhani

I am having the same problem. I click & nothing happens. I have clicked yes to the animals present question. Using a laptop, Ubuntu, Firefox 45.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

@ rhani - I'm so sorry you're having problems accessing Penguin Watch. Thanks for letting us know. we will look into the problem you're having. Thanks for giving us good information about your equipment and such. We'll post back here as soon as possible.

Posted

Hello rhani! I had that problem - it is Firefox that is at fault! Last night I swapped to Firefox to check it (another job for us moderators) and found that I had to wait perhaps twenty seconds to see the mark turn up. However if I started the mark and used my mouse to drag it, it suddenly decided to appear properly, but a bit shaky still.

If you could bear to change to Google Chrome you will get a quick fix. I will send a message back about Firefox. these browsers change how they work and that causes short problems. they may even have fixed it by now. I will check it.

Like gardenmaeve, I hope we can get this sorted quickly. Our third moderator, yshish, also uses ubuntu sop might have another suggestion anyway.

Posted

OK - just tested FF - it's a bit quicker today but sort of 'blinks' when you pop a cross onto a peng. But if I start the cross just to one side and drag it onto the penguin it's smooth. I'll get a report back to our super developers. Are you getting the same rhani, or anyone else?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to AvastMH's comment.

Please, report that on GitHub anyway, there were more volunteers reporting the issue to me via personal messages tonight. Thanks!!

Posted

Reported it yshish! The first report I ever did - felt very exciting. I emailed you and gardenmaeve about it. 😄

Posted

• rhani by rhani

firefox still not working at all, including dragging. I don't have another browser installed, will see what I can do

Posted

So sorry for your trouble accessing Penguin Watch, @rhani . The problem has been reported so we hope for some help soon. Keep in touch, please.

Gardenmaeve

Posted

• rhani by rhani

Ok, have installed chromium, but still no luck. Sorry, it looks like I'll have to give up 😦

Posted

Oh rhani - what a nightmare. PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP!! We sent the fault through to the developers and they are working on it now. I don;t know exactly when it will be fixed. I will drop you as note here when we know. But do just give us a tray every other day.

The penguins send you a bag of happy-pebbles for trying:

O0O
    OoO0O0o0
    O0oo0OoO0o
    OoO0O0o0

Posted

• AmyKessler by AmyKessler

Hi, I'm also having the same problem! I can't click on the penguins but I'd really like to help! I'm using google chrome on windows.. Hope it gets fixed soon!

Posted

Hi Amy please can you just re-try the first steps please? From here use 'return to classification' button (top right of this screen)

You are then asked: Are there any penguins or other animals in this image? Make sure you have selected 'Yes'

The next instruction is: 'For each type of animals in the image, select it from the list, then click to mark its center'. Just above that remark you will see that you can re-take the tutorial and if you need help on how to mark the penguins at this point please re-use the tutorial.

If you still have a problem please let me know what type of machine you are using (tablet, desk computer/ laptop/iMac). Thank you for letting me know your browser and operating system already. Good luck! I too hope that you will be able to enjoy PW soon 😃

Posted

• AmyKessler by AmyKessler

Thank you so much! I feel like such a dummy, I missed the step of clicking 'yes'! 😄 So glad it's fixed and I can help!

Posted

@AmyKessler - Please don't feel bad. @AvastMH checked because it's so very common to miss that first step.
    You managed to test the steps proposed and make it work, PLUS you remembered to return to let us know all is well. Pretty clever, I'd say!

Happy counting! The FAQs contain most everything else you need, and the tutorial can always be revisited.

Posted