Penguin Watch Talk

Why can't you use Machine learning?

• ladybug_j by ladybug_j

Just wondering why you can't use machine learning and visual recognition for this project? All the hand-labeling we are currently doing could be used as training data for a machine learning algorithm.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hello ladybug_j. That's strange - I just had the same question. Here's my reply to that:
    https://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000005/discussions/DPZ0000kuj

"Hi amir400 and thanks for this question! Well not only are you counting penguins but you are also playing a part in doing exactly what you suggest - teaching computers to do the job.

Humans are excellent at character/shape recognition. And that is the background to the Zooniverse projects. Branching out of this there is indeed a lot of working/development based around teaching computers to be just as good. It will be an exciting day when we have that facility because it will dramatically speed up the vital information provision for Dr Hart and his team.

Thank you for your help in keeping the 'human computer' going! 😃 "

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to ladybug_j's comment.

With the help of the Computer Vision laboratory at the University of Oxford, we are working to develop a recognition tool by which computers can automatically count every penguin individual in an image. By working at the fruitful interface of ecology and computer vision, we hope to improve the management of data from imagery and answer novel questions about wildlife dynamics that would otherwise be impossible.... etc.

[https://www.penguinwatch.org/#/science]

Posted

Thank you yshish! 😃

Posted

• ladybug_j by ladybug_j

Thanks yshish! so we are basically tagging the pics so they can be the training set for the ML algorithm. looking forward to see some publications on this

Posted

Hi ladybug_j, Well it's a double benefit really. We are creating the data for analysing the state of these colonies, and training computers. I hope that we will see the results of the computer training too 😃

Posted