Penguin Watch Talk

Can I switch which species I can mark?

• mhansen by mhansen

I have only been given pictures of gentoo penguins to mark, and all pretty much the same 3 locations. Can I switch to get a wider variety of pictures and species? I'd like to see more different kinds.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

I'm sorry, @mhansen. The sites and frequency of images are set by the scientists to meet the needs of the project. No person is choosing photos for you to see- it's an automated and random process. We all get more Gentoos since there are more Gentoo sites. In addition, certain cameras are set to take photos as frequently as 1 minute intervals. You'll be surprised to see how much can be learned by so many photos, thanks to your careful marks following the FAQ protocol.

So far this season we've seen very many Gentoos ( 😄 ), but we've also seen Chinstraps, Adelies, Macaronis, and Kings. Last season we also saw Rockhoppers and occasional wandering Magellanic penguins, and when we've finished the current data batch we look forward to more variation and some new sites.

So I hope you'll stay with us for the sake of the penguins you're helping. Thank you for your patience as we work through this data set. So far this season 34,379 volunteers have already classified 3,616,094 images photographed by automated cameras at over 100 sites!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

BTW, we're 95% done with the current data set = we're going to get new data to classify soon!! 😄

Can't wait to see some seals then 😃

Posted

Hurrah! Thanks for the update, @yshish .

Posted

• JoJoSouthgate by JoJoSouthgate

This is good to know as I have noticed the last few days that I am getting alot from the same location but it's so nice to see it at different times of the day/year - one minute its muddy with a bit of grass the next its covered in snow with a foggy background 😃

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

That's so true @JoJoSouthgate 😃 The changes of the year on land (and sea!) Down South fascinate me too 😃

Posted

• SuzanneS17 by SuzanneS17

Just joined the penguin watch and see the pictures. My cursor turns to a + when it is over the photo but l cannot mark the penguins that l see. There appear to be no markers coming up to show l have clicked on them.. is that normal? Help please

Posted

Welcome, SuzanneS17 . Please do read the FAQ, including Troubleshooting. The most common reason for being unable to mark is if you don't click first on "Yes". Please read FAQ and try again, clicking "Yes" if you see penguins, then try marking the image. Please let me know if this helps.

Posted

• SuzanneS17 by SuzanneS17 in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

Thanks... clicking Yes did the trick...

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Great! What a relief. Thanks for letting us know. I was about to start worrying we're having an issue 😃

Posted

Wonderful, @SuzanneS17 Thanks so much for letting us know all is well. 😃

Posted

• lpilarsk by lpilarsk

I dont see anything asking us to identify the penguins in a given image. Have I missed omething? Does someone else do this or is there a way to say which type is being counted in an image?

Posted

The scientists and moderators know the species- so no it is not ever necessary for you to report species. If you see something interesting, then of course feel free to comment. 😃

Good question. Thank you for asking, and thanks for your hard work.

Posted