Penguin Watch Talk

the No Need to Keep Marking pop up

• KPepper by KPepper

Hi - Pretty new here and have a question. I keep getting a pop up that says I've already marked 30 items in the photo so there's no need to keep going because the photo will be seen by many people and therefore nothing will be missed. However, it seems as if there is a flaw in this reasoning: Isn't it true that people are each individually reviewing the photo and will each generally mark the easier seen/bigger penguins first, therefore, no matter how many people see a photo, the harder to see penguins may still be missed - especially if there is a pop up saying 'no need to continue'?

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hi KPepper, That is the case. The easiest penguins to be marked will get the first set of marks on the whole. I think that a lot of people do go on to mark as many as they can, based on the queries we get here. And we do encourage people, in the FAQs, to try to mark one distant penguin on each distant area, with a finish of 'too many to mark' which indicates more distant penguins. The balance needed is to have the penguins be marked well enough whilst allowing volunteers to enjoy the process, and so a mark of 30 was decided upon by the scientists. Those same scientists place the cameras on site too.

The scientists understand the make up of each image. Last year they blocked part of the picture so that we did not mark distant penguins, this year we are able to mark more of those. We know that the data are providing solutions for the problems the penguins face, and the scientists are happy with the data we are producing.

I hope that you are enjoying the project. Best wishes, AvastMH 😃

Posted