Penguin Watch Talk

VOLUNTEER TRANSLATORS wanted!!

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Hi,

We're looking for volunteer translators for this project. We've already finished Spanish and Czech translations but currently looking for volunteers who would translate the PW into these languages:

• French
    • German
    • Russian

If you can offer us a translation into another language, you're very welcome!

Please, let me know if your native language is other than English and you're able to translate all the PW texts (except the Talk ones) into it.

Many thanks,

Zuzi

Posted

• saprykin by saprykin translator

Hi yshish,

I can help you with translation into Russian language, I have experience with translation for GNOME project and some other projects.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to saprykin's comment.

Hi @saprykin

Oh, great!! Sending you details through the private message system.. Please, confirm when you receive it 😃

Thanks!

Zuzi

Posted

• itsfullofstars by itsfullofstars translator

Hello,
    I can help with translations into German. German ist my native language, but I have a pretty good command of the English language, too.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to itsfullofstars's comment.

Awesome! Thanks, sending you a private message with the necessary details 😃 Please, confirm when you receive it!

Many thanks,

Zuzi

Posted

• saprykin by saprykin translator in response to yshish's comment.

Hi Zuzi,

I have received and answered the message.

Posted

• geologista by geologista

I can help with Geman.

Posted

• ibaiqr by ibaiqr

Hi. My native language is not French but I think I might be able to help with that if no native speaker appears.

Posted

• Sylde01001 by Sylde01001 translator

Hey there,
    I can help with translation into french.
    Sylvain

Posted

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your offers! We're currently having some troubles with the translation page so I'd like to wait with any translations until the problem is solved. I will send you a PM..

Many thanks! Enjoy the new data set 😃

Zuzi

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

I can also do French. It's not my native, but studied for 7 years...

Posted

• CandyDawn by CandyDawn translator

Hi, I'm English but live in The Netherlands so can translate Dutch or Vlaams if you want me to. I doubt you'll need me though as practically everyone here speaks fluent English, but my offer is herewith submitted 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I'm trying to do what I can to get someone to address the translation page problems. Definitely please keep volunteering, though! We'll get back to you once stuff is sorted out...

Posted

• alexxu by alexxu translator

Hello, I have native fluency in both simplified and traditional Chinese (mandarin). I know it's not exactly what you are looking for right now, but I would be extremely happy to help if you need a Chinese translation sometime in the near future. I know a lot of people who would benefit from such a translation, which would also definitely boost the PW community. Thanks!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to alexxu's comment.

Oh, hai @alexxu

Thank you very much for your offer! We definitely want your help 😃

I'll send you a private message with more details.. but not today, I'm too busy now.

Cheers,

Zuzi

Posted

• alexxu by alexxu translator in response to yshish's comment.

Zuzi,

Thanks for the reply! I will be awaiting your message. 😃

Posted

Any news on translation problems?

Posted

No, sorry. I haven't received any.. they have been working on it yet. I will let you know when it is solved.

Sorry for the troubles 😦

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to yshish's comment.

Actually, I think that it should be solved now. Sorry, I think that one slipped through the cracks in terms of communication!

Just a note, though: Anyone who is going to translate needs translator permissions. @yshish -- please email me the names of anyone who needs to be added as a translator. (You have PW translation capability, yourself!)

Use this URL: http://translations.zooniverse.org/

Unfortunately, I don't think that we can recover any of the work that was lost. But it should be good going forward now. Let me know if there are any more issues!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to DZM's comment.

Well, I'm signed in the page (I can see my avatar in the top right corner) but it asks for signing in! The problem is that it doesn't accept my Zooniverse login so I'm not able to continue translating what I've begun. Are you sure I haven't lost my translation capability?:] This problem has appeared a few days ago (not sure when exactly).

By the way, who gives the permissions to translate? I'm going to email you the user names of our translators.

Thanks!

Posted

• zibouline by zibouline translator

Hi Zuzi,
    I can also help with the translation into French if needed 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to zibouline's comment.

@zibouline Great! Are you a native speaker? 😃

Thank you all, guys, for your offers! I'll contact those of you who will get the permission to translate through the private message system here.

Z.

Posted

• janniundmanni by janniundmanni in response to yshish's comment.

Hi I am german and would like to help translate in german language. I will do my very best...

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hey everyone,

Some fixes went in for the translation pages this morning. Are they working now? @yshish ... ?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to DZM's comment.

YES!! It is 😃 Great. Many thanks! Going to email the others they can start translating (and saving their works somewhere else as well, to pretend any more loosing of them).

Z.

Posted

• Ips by Ips

Looks like you already have sufficient native German speakers, but I can help a little as well, if more are needed.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Ips's comment.

Thanks, yes. I personally prefer when one person do the translation but if someone wants another person for checking the translation or for help, let me know please.

We've covered these languages already:

• Czech
    • Spanish
    • German
    • Russian
    • Chinese (both simplified and traditional)
    • French

Hope I haven't forgotten anyone!

Many thanks to all,

Z.

Posted

The Russian language is ready at 100% 😃 'Deploy' button still doesn't work, so I can't test the translation. Should I contact developers as stated on Translation wiki page or wait when 'Deploy' button become working?

Posted

Awesome! Thanks for your hard work, @saprykin We really appreciate it 😃

We've been testing the Deploy feature today and it doesn't work only for the PW. Please, wait, I believe they're going to fix it soon! I'll let you know when it's fixed.

Z.

Posted

• Zilli by Zilli translator

I can do translations into German which is my native language.

Zilli

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Zilli's comment.

Thanks, @Zilli At this time we should have someone working on German already. But if we needed your help, I'd let you know!

Zuzi

Posted

• CandyDawn by CandyDawn translator

Dutch translations are now complete, any native Nederlanders please feel free to check/update if necessary 😃 De Nederlandse vertalingen zijn nu voltooid. Elke inwoner Nederlanders neem dan gerust / bijwerken controleren indien nodig. Heel erg bedankt. 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to CandyDawn's comment.

They need a permission to see access the Translation page to see that since any translation haven't been deployed yet. There isn't a possibility to switch the page language at this moment.

Posted

• bienle123 by bienle123 in response to yshish's comment.

I am German native speaker, so I can help with German. Yours Sabine

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to bienle123's comment.

Hi, thanks for your kind offer. As for the translations, there are some problems again. I'm leaving home fore some time, but will come back to you when I get back..

Please, if it took longer than 10 days, leave me a private message. Thanks!

Posted

• laura_emerim by laura_emerim in response to yshish's comment.

I can help with the french translations!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to laura_emerim's comment.

Great to hear that, @laura_emerim !! 😃 Will come back to you in a few days. Wait for a private message.

Thanks!
    Zuzi

Posted

• AlisaChe by AlisaChe

Hi yshish,

I can help you with translation into Russian language. I have an experience with translation.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to AlisaChe's comment.

Hi AlisaChe

Thank you very much for your kind offer! As for the Russian translations, they have been completed for 100% by another volunteer already. We tested the translations yesterday and figured out that by an accident some texts weren't included for the translation. Once they're prepared, we're going to ask the current translator first. If, from any reason, that one wasn't able to translate them, then we could let you know...

But if you're interested in translations of other projects, we would love to have Plankton Portal in Russian language too, and we haven't got anyone for it yet! Check out the project and let me know 😉

Cheers,

Zuzi

Posted

• svitlana_skob by svitlana_skob

Hey there! If this is still relevant I can assist with the Russian translation (I'm from Ukraine, but am fluent in Russian).

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to svitlana_skob's comment.

Hello @svitlana_skob

Thanks for your kind offer. I've asked the volunteer working on Russian translations whether a help is needed. Will let you know when I receive a reply.

Sorry for the delay, I was away on a 2-week fieldwork.

Cheers, Zuzi

Posted

• christy77 by christy77 translator

Hello I can translate in French

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hello again christy77! That is very kind. I need another moderator to reply to you, @yshish , who is our 'other languages' expert. I will send her a personal message to contact you (check for a reply using the little envelope at the top right of this window).

Thank you again, AvastMH

Posted

Hi everyone! We are so happy for all your kind offers.

At this moment, PW is available in these three languages only:

• English
    • Spanish
    • Czech

These langagues have been started already (haven't been finished yet):

• Japanese (currently is being translated)
    • Russian (have been started, currently on 88 % but no one seems to be working on it any more)
    • Dutch (seems to be finished 99 % but needs someone to check it and confirm it is ready for publishing)
    • Chinese (traditional) (have been started, currently on 34 % but no one seems to be working on it any more)
    • Chinese (simplified) (have been started, currently on 57 % but no one seems to be working on it any more)
    • French (I have done 37 % and @christy77 is going to correct and finish it 😃)

We'd love to have a German version of PW, and of course, we would be happy to have other language versions too, if someone was able to help us translate all the texts.

Please, let me know via personal message system (top right corner) if you want to become a PW translator. Ideally, one person for one language.

Many thanks!

Zuzi

Posted

• AmandaWang by AmandaWang translator in response to yshish's comment.

Hi I can translate in Chinese (simplified)!

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Thank you @AmandaWang for your kind offer. The moderator to talk with is @yshish , so I'll let her know of your interest. Please be patient as things are very busy around here at the moment. 😃

Posted

Hi @AmandaWang

I asked the developers to made you an official Chinese translator and I have just received a message that you should have been able to log in the Translation Page already. Sending you a private message with all the necessary info. Thank you very much for your kind offer.

Cheers,
    Zuzi

Posted

Thank you, @yshish .

Posted

• Zilli by Zilli translator

Hi Zuzi,

as I wrote earlier, I would be willing to help with translation into German.

Best wishes
    Zilli

Posted

Thank you for your kind offer, @Zilli . I'm sure you'll hear from @yshish . Things are a bit busy just now. 😃 I've sent her a PM as specified earlier.

Posted

• rosvita by rosvita

Hi
    if you still need assistance with Spanish , im native speaker and could be a back up for french if necessary ( I see you have several offers ) 😃
    , Rosvita

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to rosvita's comment.

Hi @rosvita

Thank you very much for your kind offer. Actually, Spanish should have been covered by one of the native scientists 😃 And as for French, we have just found someone who is supposed to be working on it. Anyway, if we needed to help with any of those languages, we will definitely let you know! 😃

Thanks again and enjoy the counting.
    Zuzi

Posted

• Biolisi by Biolisi translator

Hello,

Not sure it is still needed but I am French. Let me know if I can help!

Biolisi

Posted

Hi Biolisi - that is a very, very kind offer. 😄 Our moderator Yshish is looking after translations and I am sure she will answer your offer very soon. Thank you again and I hope that you are really enjoying PenguinWatch 😄

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Biolisi's comment.

As I promised in my email, you were added to the Translation page! I've just received a confirmation from the devs that you have been officially made a French translator of PW!

Thanks again and congratulations 😃

Z.

Posted

Hey Spanish speaking citizens!

Just wanted to announce that Spanish version of PW has been completed and deployed! 😃
    All thanks to Hila Levy, one of the scientists working on PW, who translated all the Spanish texts.

Enjoy!

Z.

Posted

Muchas gracias! Muy bien!

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

and also from me 'Muchas gracias! Muy bien!'

Great work! 😄

Posted

• karinapsousa by karinapsousa translator in response to yshish's comment.

Im native Portuguese, will be happy to help with translations!

Posted

@karinapsousa - Thank you for your very kind offer. I'll let @yshish know- she's been coordinating our wonderful translators! 😃

Posted

Hello everyone,

I'd like to announce you that due to @koori45, we've got PenguinWatch in Chinese available now! 😄 Thanks a lot.

But there are still a couple more unfinished languages, between 60-90% done. It is German, French, Japanese, Russian and Dutch. Some of them were finished just before we added new texts and the new Tutorial that need to be translated yet.

If anyone's interesting in finishing them, let us know please (of course, we'd be happy to have the original translators if possible).

Thanks a lot! We wouldn't be able to do that without you, guys! 😃

Cheers, Zuzi

Posted

That's fantastic news @yshish ! And great work @koori45
    It's yet another sign of the generosity and determination of our excellent volunteers to help penguins. Thank you! 😃

Posted

• Sortis by Sortis translator

Hello,

I am available for German, I am a native speaker.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Sortis's comment.

Great, thank you @Sortis ! Going to ask for adding you as a new translator and will send you a personal message with the instructions once it's done. Thanks a lot for your offer! 😃

Posted

How wonderful. Thank you, @Sortis.

Posted

And I will add my thanks as well...thank you @Sortis 😄

Posted

• Sortis by Sortis translator

German is 100% done and ready to go!

Posted

Many thanks indeed @Sortis ! 😄 Yshish will be very glad to have had your help with this project. It helps the penguins a lot to include volunteers from other countries who need to work in their native language 😄

Posted

Just wanted to announce, that the German version of PenguinWatch is finally available!

You can switch the language on the project mainpage (or in the classification mode), by clicking on the language selector, in the top right corner (which says English by default). It doesn't affect the Talk page.

Enjoy 😉

Posted

Das ist sehr gut. Danke an alle, die geholfen haben!

Posted

Auch ich gratuliere dir! 😄

Posted

• Enya4 by Enya4 translator in response to yshish's comment.

Hello, I am French (I'm bilingual) so I can DEFINATLY help with the French trnaslations.

Posted

• Enya4 by Enya4 translator in response to yshish's comment.

Simply tell me which PW texts you want me to translate.
    Sorry for late answer!

Posted

• Enya4 by Enya4 translator

Tsukiko told me she'll help out with French translations (she's also French and in my school).

Posted

Hello Enya4 and Tsukiko ! And many thanks for your kind offer to translate PW texts into French. Moderator @yshish is our languages expert, and I am sure she will contact you here probably at some time today 😃

It is a wonderful project of yshish's to get as many people, from many different countries as possible, to able to help the penguins 😄

Posted

• Sitta_Whiteheadi by Sitta_Whiteheadi translator in response to yshish's comment.

Hello ! I'm french and lived in an english-speaking country for 2-3 years. I can help with the french translation if needed.

Posted

Thank you for your kind offer, @Sitta_Whiteheadi . I'll let moderator @yshish know, in case help is still needed for French translations.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Sitta_Whiteheadi's comment.

Hello @Sitta_Whiteheadi ,

Thanks a lot for your kind offer. I am happy you replied! We had two translators for French and there isn't a single word translated by either of them on the Translation page. I can't tell whether they are just working slowly on the texts outside the Zooniverse but since none of them has replied to my personal messages I guess they rather left.

I'm going to ask the developers to add you as a new translator, but please, let us know if you changed your mind.

I'm also sending you more details as a personal message (Check out the envelope in the top right corner)

Thanks again! 😃

Cheers,

Zuzi

Posted

Wonderful! Thank you, @yshish and @Sitta_Whiteheadi for this!

(I believe the two earlier offers are from people who are at school and only have access to PW during holidays.)

Posted

• empeigne by empeigne in response to yshish's comment.

Hello,
    I'm a french native speaker and I would like to help you in the translation !!
    Emma

Posted

Hello and thank you, @empeigne Emma! I'll flag down moderator @yshish regarding your kind offer.

Posted

• jschell42 by jschell42

Hi all, I wish I could help with translation, but I'm more interested in how you'll stand up these different versions of the site. Will there be functionality to switch languages within a single site, or would people be going to different sites for each language? I'm working on a project that needs dual English + French, so looking at different ways people have accomplished multi-lingual Zooniverse sites. Thanks!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to jschell42's comment.

Hello,

Actually, you can try it on your own. This project has been used in multiple languages since the launch (as well as some other old projects). Just go on the main page and switch the language you want to see (you can check out French version on a sister project Plankton Portal). Once you switch to another language, the next time you sign in, it loads in the chosen language automatically. And you can switch it back anytime later.

I am not sure how far they are with making translation possible for new system (Panoptes) projects. But once it is possible, there may be some differences in how it works.

For now, it depends on what project you open and whether there are some other languages available. I am afraid the new projects are only run in English for now. As you can see, the translations are made by volunteers and the translators usually only offer their help on the projects they participate in. I think Zooniverse could make possible to have the main Zooniverse pages in various languages but once you visit a project, it would appear in English only until someone translates it. They simply cannot make all projects available in all languages. There are 100 projects and many more coming. But I can imagine that when the project will be available in the chosen language, it could load the translated version automatically once it is possible.

Hope it makes sense and answers your questions. Feel free to ask more 😃

Cheers, Zuzi

Posted

• Annil123 by Annil123 translator

Hello everyone! I've actually found out about Zooniverse because of you guys and your project, so I really want to help you with the translation. I'm a native russian speaker and I've been studying English for years now, but I don't have any experience translating something profesionally. But I'd still LOVE to help you. Today I passed my last exam so I'm completely free.
    Thanks for your wonderful work!

Posted

Hello @Annil123 . Thank you for your enthusiasm and kind offer. I'll ask moderator @yshish to discuss with you the possibility of helping with translation. 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Annil123's comment.

Hello @Annil123

Thanks a lot for your kind offer 😃 The Russian translations of PW is 73% completed but no one seems to be actively working on it at this moment. So if you're willing to finish the work, let me know and I'll add you as a new translator and will send you the details you need for that. I'll contact you via the main Zooniverse mailing system. Let me know if the message doesn't get to you.

Thanks!

Cheers, Zuzi

Posted

Dear translators!

A couple of words have been added or changed in the Tutorial. We would like to update the translated versions of PW so they corresponded to the changes. If anyone is able to help, let me know please.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Z.

Posted

• VoxelMush by VoxelMush

Hello there,

If translating the project is still an active idea, I want to let you know I'm available to translate the project into European Portuguese, which is my native language.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator in response to VoxelMush's comment.

Hello @VoxelMush ! That's very kind of you to offer to help us. Our moderator Yshish looks after the translation of PenguinWatch. I will send her a message now to ask her to respond to you here.
    Thank you again! 😄

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to VoxelMush's comment.

Hi @VoxelMush

Thanks for your kind offer. We really appreciate that. Actually, at this moment, we're close to finishing the local data set of images on the old project platform (here), and after then, we'll be only using the new platform: https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/penguintom79/penguin-watch

Unlike this one, the new platform doesn't support translations yet at this moment. But the developers are working on it, and once it is available, we'll be happy to have it translated into your language as well! I'll contact you when the time comes.

Once again, thank you very much for your offer. Hope you enjoy the project 😃

Cheers, Zuzi

Posted