Penguin Watch Talk

A bit about the Røst legend

• asb2718 by asb2718

As suggested, here is a very short story of the Røst coat of arms that shows three cormorants (shags). I heard this story when I visited the islands many years ago from a local guide.
    As much as I remember there was a man who had three sons. This man had magical powers and could transform his sons into shags. They would then fly out into the sea and guide any ship/boat lost at sea or caught in a storm to the safe haven that was Røst. The coat of arms commemoratess these three brothers. As such Røst is unusual in the Lofotens in many ways. You can read about it on their wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Røst) . That said, we loved the birdlife there and had the privilege of dining with the first non-norwegian vice-mayor of any norwegian town. The dinner had been prepared by her and it was a pleasant surprise to eat such excellent Indian food (I am from India) in such a northern latitude.
    Ajit

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

That's a delightful story Ajit - thank you! The story of the three brothers is fascinating to think about. Cormorants look very nice so it is great to have a good story about them. And how wonderful to have the mayor cook you dinner - and home cuisine too 😄 It sounds like a most memorable trip 😄

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Very interesting and enjoyable. Thank you, Ajit. 😃

Posted