Penguin Watch Talk

Well done everyone! New set of pictures to come: current picture session almost complete May 2017

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Dear Volunteers,

A few of you have received a message that we have no pictures now. This means that we are almost at 100% classification of the current run of pictures. That means two things 1) you are wonderful! 2) we may well have practice pictures for a short while.

If we have practice pictures you will sometimes see a picture that you've had before. Don't worry about that. It does allow new volunteers to learn more about marking, and that will be good news for the penguins when the next set of pictures arrive.

As soon as we have news of the next set of pictures we will let you know. 😃

Once again well done everyone, thank you for all your time and efforts on behalf of the scientists - and the penguins of course! 😄

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Echoing AvastMH's words, "Well done everyone!" The practice photo time between sets is a good time to look through your Collections, fine-tuning as needed. I like to carefully go through Collections that have become too large to refer to efficiently, removing photos that are not so interesting, moving special photos to their own focused Collection, etc.

This is also an excellent and wise time to review the FAQs- there may be some little useful changes before the next data set is available, so please do refresh your memory for your valuable classifications-yet-to-come. Thank you all- whether you've worked on one or one thousand images recently, your kind efforts are highly valued and Penguin Watch moderators and science team are most grateful!

Posted

There are still a few photos in the system needing classification, so those who have not gotten the "Out of pictures" message, please go ahead and classify what you can. That data is valuable! Thank you!

Posted

• XxPenguinWatch2016xX by XxPenguinWatch2016xX

looks like we finally did it. We beat Penguin Watch. I am proud and honored to have served with you, my faithful comrades, in this time of war. Now that we can return back to our homes, let us rest for the next long battle in the arctic seas and the snowy caps of this blessed earth. Waddle on and keep watch.

Posted

Ah, but wait! Penguin Watch remains victorious, amassing thousands of intriguing, perplexing images with which to challenge us all. Our Peaceful Engagement will resume soon, with the Power to Number a Nimbus of Penguins, Name the Needs of Penguins, and Nudge a Number of Nations...all to benefit the precious penguins and their perilous homes...thanks to the Very Victorious and Voluminous Penguin Counters of Penguin Watch (the V.V.V.P.C.P.W.)!
    Huzzah!

With highest regards,
    gardenmaeve & fellow moderators

Posted

• grannieannie by grannieannie

Please, please, please more penguin images soooooooon ...........

Posted

Great message @gardenmaeve ! I say Huzzah to the V.V.V.P.C.P.W. too! 😄

Hi @grannieannie ! 😃 We're all chomping at the bit. I know that the pictures are in process and I hope it won't be too long. I'll be seeing Tom Hart tomorrow so I'll try to report back here on Thursday without fail! I think that Tom, in an apparent enthusiasm to save all ice-related fauna, has been in the Arctic. 😃

So - until Thursday - 'warm pebbles' as we say. AvastMH 😃

Posted

• Melakmen by Melakmen

Gee, been away doing study. Have some time at home today and no pictures....... Sad face. Going back to look at some of 2000 odd photos. Smiley face.

Posted

😄 Hello there, @Melakmen ! Glad to see you back! The penguins are on the way, but it's a long swim from Antarctic regions! Good idea to look over your collected photos! 😄

Posted

• Singing_Ginger by Singing_Ginger

Any update on when we'll have new images?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Singing_Ginger's comment.

The pictures are still being processed. Sadly, we cannot make this part any faster 😦 But I'm sure they'll be worth waiting! 😉

Posted

While we wait, some of us are getting some knitting done! 😄

Posted

• Melakmen by Melakmen

Yay, very excited to see the new picture coming!!!! Have missed everyone. 😃

Posted

@Melakmen -Still a little wait, but yes- looking forward to "seeing" everyone again!

Posted

For any Penguin Watch volunteers who have missed it: We are all eagerly awaiting a new season of data. It takes many people to collect the data, set up and maintain cameras , process and number the photo data cards, tweak the programming, prepare and release the new many thousands of photographs (for us to then happily classify...) whilst also working to support the project, deal with media needs, scholarly publications, academic life, ordinary life and plan, pack for and complete trips to far-flung places including, yet not limited to, the Antarctic regions. Whew! It makes me tired just to list all that.
    We who remain ready to continue working on this valuable and enriching project try to remember patience.
    😄

Your faithful moderators check here several times a day to look for questions, and we do reply to Private Messages from you. Thank you for your continuing interest and support of this vital work. When the new season of photographs are ready for release we'll all flock together and dive back in!

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

Well said @gardenmaeve . I'm all ready to flock and dive! 😄

Posted

Flock and dive time is here then! Happy day - new penguin pictures. So far three new sites have appeared and @Hatschi has found sheep on one of them 😄

Posted