Penguin Watch Talk

Breaking news: Nations reached agreement to protect home of 38% of the world's Adelie penguins

• wildmonster by wildmonster

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37789594

My understanding is that it takes years of very challenging negotiations to designate marine protected areas in Antarctica because there must be complete consensus among all nations governing Antarctica (24 nations plus European Union). The hard work finally paid off, and agreement was reached this week (27 October 2016) to protect the Ross Sea in Antarctica which is home to 38% of the world's Adelie penguins, huge amounts of krill, and lots of other marine life including petrels and whales. This will become the largest marine protected area in the world.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

This is really a great news!! I was just about to post it here 😄 Would you mind if I moved that onto the Science board?

Thanks! 😃

Z.

Posted

• wildmonster by wildmonster

Hi yshish,

Glad that you also see this Ross Sea marine protected area as wonderful news! It is really rare and exciting. Yes, please feel free to move it to Science board. 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to wildmonster's comment.

Hah, weird. I've just replied to your post and it doesn't appear here but on the old board in a not existing thread 😄 ... Here is a copy of what I submitted:

Done, thanks! 😃 (Please, let me know if there's bad grammar used in the name of the new board or its inscription. Thanks!)

(Maybe it just needs some time before it shows up?)

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

This is superb news! Thank you for bringing it to us Wildmonster. Perhaps this agreement will begin a real speeding up of such changes. Now that those nations have made a change once let's hope they want to make more and more that protect the seas.
    There really is light at the end of the tunnel. Well done all those who had the spirit to make the changes.

I hope that the waters near the Falklands get protection soon as well 😃

Posted

• jennifer.legault by jennifer.legault

I just want to say that my students have really enjoyed identifying the objects in the pictures! Thank you for bringing animals from half a world away to our classroom!

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Dear Jennifer,
    How wonderful to hear that your students are working with our project! I do hope that they are enjoying marking the penguins and that it is fascinating for them to see how these magnificent birds live. It is exciting to be involved in real science. The counting that has already happened has helped Dr Tom Hart to protect Antarctic waters so that some penguins are safe from humans over-fishing the penguin's home seas.

Once again, our thanks to you and your students for your help!

Joan (AvastMeHearties)

A number of schools worked on the project earlier in the year: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35981212

as did some school children from the Czech republic: https://blog.zooniverse.org/2016/02/19/primary-school-zooniverse-volunteers/

And our youngest penguin counter is about 2 years old! His year old sister and his father help him.

Posted