Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ0000mcj

Subject APZ0000mcj Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• mrrudisill by mrrudisill

Some of these are really fat while others are skinny? does this help determine between male and female?

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

All that happens is that they crouch down a bit when standing, or tuck themselves up when sitting. If they can reduce

Posted

their outside surface to as small as possible they will stay as warm as possible. If they all stood up and stretched as tall

Posted

as possible they would look quite thin 😃

Posted

• Motherjoanne by Motherjoanne

Hey, here is green poop from Chin Straps!

Posted

There's a really squiggly bit on the bottom right - yukko! One day we will know just what that stuff is - I'm still betting on squid 😃

Posted

I think squid makes a lot of sense.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Why do you think that squid would make the poop green?😃 It appears brown/yellow on my screen but if green, I'd say it must be caused by

Posted

eating algae, not by eating animals. It doesn't make any sense to me. But I can be wrong 😃

Posted

I'm happy to go with that idea...just couldn't think what it might. Knowing they eat squid (and your digestion can change colours - clearly

Posted

not krill though! On my screen it's definitely green. That's another nuisance - who's got true colour on their screen? Sigh! Complicated :-0

Posted

Ive been trying to keep a log of when green poop appears and so far it is mostly Oct, Nov, early Dec-before chicks and with snow on ground.

Posted

Oh boy - that's very scientific of you! I've got a 'poop'collection with some pictures in it. So it makes me wonder, is it that this food

Posted

is mostly available during the spring, or is it that it's overwhelmed by krill poop colouring the soil when the snow has melted? Someone

Posted

needs to visit them with a very long handled poop-a-scooper at the right time of year. Volunteers? I just took a step back 😉 😃

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

As I understand it the squid dinners cause black guano.

Posted

Interesting. I can't find any reference to them eating algae. Does anyone else have one?

Posted

There can be an algae growing in the poo/snow (not just have been eaten by penguins)

Posted

Not a serious source but they say that green penguin poop is a sign that penguins are moulting. http://www.thetravelingrichters.com/2010/02/17/a-bit-of-penguin-bathroom-humor

Posted

These are nesting but it means they don't eat krill at this time either.. Hmm.

Posted

Another source tells that the green is probably bile but they talk about emperors. http://www.gdargaud.net/Antarctica/PenguinFAQ.html

Posted

Here they mention algae diet:Green poo indicates a diet of algae, a food of last resort that usually means other foods are in short supply.

Posted

The source of the last statement: http://qi.com/infocloud/penguins
    I guess each of this can be a reason for green poo.

Posted

Well this crew are not moulting, so that reason is off the list, but I am intersted in that one. If these are having to eat algae when

Posted

in the early nesting phase that's going to use a lot off their body resources and will be quite stressful for them. But many seem to have

Posted

good healthy chicks later on. Strange....

Posted

They mentioned the moulting because it is the time penguins don't eat at all since they can't go to the water.. but they don't eat while

Posted

nesting either so the poo can't be red from krill so it COULD be the same situation as they meant. But I don't think that it would be green

Posted

from eating algae in such a case BUT it could be green from an algae growing in the poop. But the bile reason could be true as well. Haha

Posted

(I meant: why should it be green from eating algae when they don't eat while nesting/moulting but not from krill?)

Posted

Hey, thanks for the site citation! And continuing discussion of green poo.

Posted

Oh! Right! got it yshish! I understand what you are saying. Oh I wish we knew. :-0
    Happy to help Motherjoanne - this is real science 😃

Posted