Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ0002yb7

Subject APZ0002yb7 Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• ba.england by ba.england

could that be a seal on the far right?

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

That certainly could be - and after a really close look I am certain that it is! Very rare! Lucky there is a steep little clamber up...

Posted

from the sea ice to that perching place for the penguins (only one sitting there just now). You can mark seals ...

Posted

as 'other' without specifying the type of 'other'. Well spotted! 😃

Posted

many thanks, are you able to say what breed from this distance?

Posted

I'm not sure, and tried looking up seals at Port Lockroy, to find mentions of crabeater and leopard seals and, apparently Weddell seals...

Posted

sometimes haul out. So I'll ask in the science section for you to see if anyone knows more. I am curious myself.

Posted

• Doortje_3 by Doortje_3

I've been at Port Lockroy last year and saw a crabeater seal there!

Posted

Doortje -thank you for your answer - and how exciting that you have visited Port Lockroy! If you want to tell us more...

Posted

about Port Lockroy do start a thread in the 'Chat' discussion board. 😃

Posted

could i mention here that my son works for the British Antarctic Survey at Cambridge. he is on the James Clarke Ross at this moment.

Posted

with a team taking core samples from the sea bed. they are about to cross Drakes Passage then pass by many of your sites - proud mum!

Posted

OH GOSH! I'd be a proud mum too ba.england! I wonder if he will spot any of the camera stands (perhaps they are still there?) or visit

Posted

Port Lockroy, or the red hut on Petermann Island. I'm sure we'd love to know more so do start a thread in 'Chat' if you'd like to 😄

Posted

For an aerial view of this place: http://www.geonames.org/maps/google_-64.826_-63.493.html

Posted