Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ0003x89

Subject APZ0003x89 Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• Rebex by Rebex

I'm finding it really hard to tell which are chicks - but I guess in a lot of pics the date will tell you if I'm wrong?

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Ah - it's that tricky time of year Rebex. Chicks are getting their adult plumage, adults are starting to moult. So - here's a useful

Posted

breeding cycle diagram http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000002/discussions/DPZ00002pg AND to help with identifying chicks: there

Posted

are some penguins that are clearly smaller, and grey-and-white rather than black-and-white (see the two stood on a rock lower left of

Posted

picture). The chick (on the right) still has a mostly white throat, but has started to develop the white head marking of adulthood. So when

Posted

you are not sure just mark as 'adult' (- sounds like you did that) Thanks! Happy counting 😃

Posted

• Rebex by Rebex

Thanks- that was my first day - I've been studying the diagrams - but how can I know (generally) whether gentoos are northern or southern?

Posted

First time we've been asked that one! And I'm not sure....I looked up information about the differences on Thursday I think...let me see...

Posted

There's a bit more information here: http://www.photovolcanica.com/PenguinSpecies/Gentoo/GentooPenguinPhotos.html

Posted

but feel very welcome to pop a question on the science board! 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

You won't probably recognize them from these photos but the locations are mentioned in the Breeding cycles and we are able to locate some

Posted

sites (the scientists know them all for sure). But it isn't as important to know. We don't want to mark what you think you should see but

Posted

what you really see in the photos. So when you think there is an egg, please,mark it so,even if the breeding cycles say it can't be. Thanks!

Posted