Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ0004j32

Subject APZ0004j32 Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• CandyDawn by CandyDawn translator

P on left (above the one just in the picture) either has a chick and an egg or the chick is hatching from the egg. 😃 #hatching

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

I think its one chick and one egg. I'm struggling to find the next photo in the sequence to show what's going on..

Posted

#AvastMH please get back to me if you find the next photo, i'd love to know 😃 Thanks

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Will do! 😃

Posted

#AvastMH I came across the photo 16 days later and the P in that position had only one chick. Could it be the same P or do they move around?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

They stay in the same nest for the whole breeding season until the chicks grow up a bit and become able to stay outside the nest, they

Posted

form creches with other chicks together so you aren't able to tell which one belongs to which nest. They're too small for creches here.

Posted

#yshish so the P in question is hatching from the egg?

Posted

I'm sorry I can't see any hatching egg there. It just looks like a penguin above a little chick and an egg. Gentoo chicks are pale grey with

Posted

a very dark head when they're very small.. As they grow up they become pale grey at first and later change their grey feathers for black.

Posted

So the body of the little one doesn't seem to be part of the same penguin as the head 😃 (This case)

Posted

I'm still confused though, if it is a baby AND an egg, this penguin has only one chick a few days later?

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Hi, @Candy-Dawn. Not all eggs are fertile, not all eggs hatch, and not all chicks survive.

Posted

Well, it can be an empty egg shell as well.There are more like this one displaying both(the chick and the egg) APZ0004j3u , APZ0004j4p

Posted

Or it could be a non-viable egg too. There are images with a couple of Sheathbills lurking around.. for an easy prey! APZ0004j4w APZ0004j4o

Posted

But it definitely isn't a hatching egg since they both were visible in previous images like here: APZ0004j2a

Posted

@yshish thanks for taking the time to clarify the image. The earlier & later images you found were useful ... & interesting too! Thanks 😃

Posted

NP, you're welcome 😃

Posted