Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ0004qt5

Subject APZ0004qt5 Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• Motherjoanne by Motherjoanne

Quite the menagerie here. Can't tell what birds are floating in the water , but they are not acting like penguins - I marked as other.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Another view spotted by @ jo0oley. http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/subjects/APZ0004qsx

Posted

I'm hoping it's Chinstrap penguins coming with fish for the hungry chicks. Sometimes they "porpoise" in- other times they swim like that.

Posted

Marking them as "Other" is fine, for it will alert the scientists to have a close look.

Posted

• Motherjoanne by Motherjoanne

Thanks!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Yes, they could be. Have you noticed the #seals? 😃

Posted

Yes- so many #seals! This is one of several from this site with many "Others"!

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Are they penguins in the water - can't see any white bits and I thought that their flotillas were a bit tighter in

Posted

formation. And they look to be bigger than the pengs on the shore stood up. Shame they are sooooooo far away 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Don't forget there is a reflection of their bodies on the surface which makes them see bigger.. I really can't tell what they are.

Posted

We've just been given a clarification for penguins in the water- "Please don't mark them" . I understand the FAQs will be edited to account for this

Posted

Also this location is, " Saunders in the South Sandwich Islands...roughly 1/2 million penguins in this colony, so there are always a lot coming and going..." http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000002/discussions/DPZ0000b0h

Posted

I'm now thinking the large birds in the water (we still don't mark them!) are more likely Southern giant petrels.

Posted

I think I agree @gardenmaeve - they are fairly large. Another oldish photo 😄

Posted

Yes, dredged up while looking for something else!

Posted