Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ0004vkd

Subject APZ0004vkd Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• coldcounter by coldcounter

I really don't get it with these ones ..... every pic no matter what time of the year there are always big brown chicks ... never little

Posted

chicks??? never eggs?? (though I know they hatch them on their feet but even so....) i think these are adult birds moutling in the front

Posted

not chicks into adults but marked as adults as they have the right markings ... but never little chicks here ....

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Hi @coldcounter As for King penguins, their breeding cycle is quite complicated in the comparison to other penguin species. They keep their

Posted

eggs (and then the little chick) on their feet hidden under a skin fold at their brood patch, so you won't see them until they're big enough

Posted

to leave it and stay on their own outside in crèche, which takes about 30-40 days. Until that, it's unable to regulate its body temperature.

Posted

They incubate only one egg at once! The cycle takes 14-16 month and most couples raise a chick just 2x in a period of 3 years.So you can see

Posted

chicks of different age side by side in a single image. Hope it is clearer now πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

I have often noticed those with bulging pockets and thought we would get a glimpse... But never have πŸ˜ƒ and never seen anything younger

Posted

Than the brown fluffy ones we see... Maybe one day we will get a glimpse... One day πŸ˜„

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Here are photos and video of a King chick from hatching to knee high: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2942696/From-runt-supersized-King-Penguin-chick-gone-just-inches-tall-0-5lb-two-half-feet-1-5-stone-just-months.html

Posted

There are a couple of views of King eggs showing briefly during incubation at this site, about 1/3 down the page: http://www.photovolcanica.com/PenguinSpecies/King/KingPenguinPhotos.html

Posted

@gardenmaeve Oh, thanks! What great idea to show some pictures for @coldcounter !!πŸ˜ƒ And that video of hatching! Yay, what a cute noise it makes!

Posted

@gardenmaeve feel free to start a thread on the Science board with this awesome material! It will get lost here, flooded by other posts πŸ˜•

Posted

Thanks @yshish and @gardenmaeve ... that video is sweet (ET eat your heart out!) it gives me hope to study this site even more closely πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

gosh that chick - how it grew! fantastic to see πŸ˜„

Posted

@yshish- Will do, when I've a bit of time.
    I've never understood how young'uns of any species can be described as 'ugly'. They always look perfect to me.

Posted