Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ0004vpv

Subject APZ0004vpv Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

#Kelp #gull

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Interesting photo gardenmaeve. Huge clear area with everyone packed in up at this end. Odd! :-\

Posted

Agreed. No sign of a particular reason, though. Sometimes what seems odd to us is ordinary for them, so let's keep thinking about it. 😉

Posted

Similar pattern here: http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/subjects/APZ0004vpw

Posted

That's another good picture...it looks like they are playing an outdoor chess match in the middle ... (I have a good imagination 😉 ) 😄

Posted

I'm thinking both photos simply show the current crop of growing chicks forming the large creches, freeing adults go get food.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Well, the 1st breeding season starts in November for King penguins, although, there are always some chicks from the other breeding seasons

Posted

So many penguins just come back from sea at this time to mate.. (their breeding cycle is very unique and difficult to understand).

Posted

I think that the adult Kings moult just before breeding - or did I dream this?

Posted

The moulting season starts in October for King penguins, just after coming back from sea, so it's not "before" but rather about the same time.

Posted