Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ0005bqh

Subject APZ0005bqh Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• etreadwe by etreadwe

can't make out what's behind third peng from middle center (with back turned (back left of triad with forward peng on right)

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hi etreadwe...sorry - I'm not sure which peng. Here's the big version - does this help please?

Posted

http://zooniverse-static.s3.amazonaws.com/www.penguinwatch.org/subjects/standard/5550bc957d50fe04e104fc43.JPG

Posted

• etreadwe by etreadwe

eek ok.. don't know better way to do this. is peng in very front - go back from that and is peng facing away, chick, and peng facing (contd)

Posted

• etreadwe by etreadwe

in a little cluster of 3. just to left of that is peng facing what looks to be a huge furry brown-black mass. (just behind that are (contd)

Posted

• etreadwe by etreadwe

two parents with chick huddled between. unknown thing 68% from bottom, 48% from left

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

If I got it correctly, it is a #chick 😃 But in general, when you can't tell whether a rock or a chick, then leave it unmarked. When you

Posted

can't tell whether a chick or an adult, then mark it as an adult. Always choose the safer choice .) Thanks for your help, check out the FAQs

Posted

for more details about classifying difficult images if you haven't yet. And keep asking, which is definitely the best way to learn it! 😉

Posted

• etreadwe by etreadwe

yshish - on FAQ it says pengs do explosive poo to prevent from acid damage to oil on feathers. but we see lots of pics of poo-sprayed pengs

Posted

• etreadwe by etreadwe

who sit there. so maybe its just as important to make it explosive away to get it away from seeping down to egg (CaCO3) and damaging it??

Posted

Hi etreadwe 😃 Yshish is away for a little while so I'll jump in & answer this one. Yes, that's certainly true, about the feathers. We tend

Posted

to think about the adults because we see them most, but is also very much a case of not dissolving the egg! I guess the danger time is when

Posted

they get up to turn the egg/change sitters. So I wonder if they do that when their neighbour has just had a voiding event - perhaps

Posted

they've worked out that there should be a few minutes of safety before someone else feels the Call of Nature 😉!

Posted

( note: AvastMH - change FAQ to inc. protection of egg)

Posted

• Motherjoanne by Motherjoanne

I think the timing of their molt - right after nesting and getting slattered with poo - is probably a response to the impact of the poo

Posted

• Motherjoanne by Motherjoanne

on their feathers. The value of nesting together outweighs the poo impact, so they molt after and get new feathers.

Posted

Well that's also true - that poo will damage feathers so moulting after breeding and before winter makes a lot of sense 😃

Posted