Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ0005mwv

Subject APZ0005mwv Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• coldcounter by coldcounter

Sorry to rain on parades ..... but .... it looks like that egg is still intact five days later 😦

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Hmm.. There are more possible explanations, we would have to see more pictures of the nest with the dates to tell for sure! There could be 2

Posted

eggs, on broken which remains could be displayed in the Dailyzooed pic. || The hatched chick could be hidden somehow behind the egg we see here

Posted

although I'm not sure how much probable it is. This egg seem to be too clear to be old. They get dirty soon. I'm just guessing wildly 😃

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Not so wildly, yshish! All we can do is look carefully & make our best evaluation with the information at hand. 😃 You propose good ideas.

Posted

I am hoping like a mad thing that an image pops up dated before this with a chick and an egg !!! 😃 toes and fingers crossed.....

Posted

Well, I sent this photo to Caitlin and asked for her opinion. Here is her reply:

Looks like the chick is in the brood patch and the 2nd egg is not yet hatched. Since they lay two eggs, this is very common.

Posted

Yeah .... thanks @yshish .... with all this analysis at least we will have the date of the perhaps the first hatching here pinned down.

Posted

Kinda wish I hadn't noticed the date on this one now ... duh.... 😦

Posted

@coldcounter Why so sad? I'm actually happy for your remark! It was an interesting,and surely quite a useful/new, information for many here! 😃 Thank you!

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Yes indeed...remember it's noticing and thinking about what is shown that's most interesting.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

yes -this is citizen science working well 😄 !

Posted

Thanks for the positive feedback all .... I just thought, damn I've sent people off on a wild goose (sorry penguin!) chase !! 😃 😃

Posted