Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ0005pcy

Subject APZ0005pcy Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• bienle123 by bienle123

I like the middle right one how it found a comfortable resting place for its head. 😃

Posted

• Zilli by Zilli translator

Yes, I noticed that too 😃 The nest is so close to the rock! I wonder whether that position is comfortable 😃

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

I guess that if you want to have a sleep, but still look like you are keeping an eye out for any skuas, that's the way to do it 😄

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter

Which begs the question .... when do penguins sleep? and for how long? ?????

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

They sleep often but in short naps only, have to be on the alert against predators.They sleep while standing with their head under a wing

Posted

or lying on the ground. It is not exactly known, how they sleep on the open sea but probably float on the surface with their head on

Posted

or between their flippers. Their metabolism slows down to save energy during the sleep,which is helpful while nesting/moulting.

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter

The equivalent of a human "catnap" ??

Posted

• bienle123 by bienle123

Seems so 😉

Posted

Interesting. I thought that perhaps they 'catnap' whilst sitting, but wondered if otherwise they do what some prey

Posted

mammals do - i.e. let one half of their brain sleep at a time (I think horses do this).
    I hope we find out sometime 😃

Posted