Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ0007gea

Subject APZ0007gea Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• coldcounter by coldcounter

I am wondering if that top nest failed and they are trying for a second egg? and/or did the lower nest fail also or are is this bird

Posted

preplacing pebbles for the next season and not wondering "where did my egg go" ???

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

I've seen them doing this on other sites late in the season (well, early in winter I guess). I wonder if pebble stealing is so

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

ingrained that they naturally do it? Also I can imagine still wanting to sit on pebbles rather than snow... 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Well, they might be Northern Gentoos?, then the timing would be about OK. Check out the BCs.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

In addition to yshish's observation, as I understand it pebble nest penguins tend to gather pebbles whenever there is an opportunity.

Posted

Here's a link to the BCs (Breeding Cycles): http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000002/discussions/DPZ00002pg

Posted

(Thanks for the link, @gardenmaeve I forgot to put it in the post. I was trying to explain the penguin above, lying in the nest)

Posted

You guys are all so good at answering every little thing we observe be it useful or not. Thank you all

Posted

I thought i had trawled over pretty much all the website.. I haven't fallen over that before.. Great asset, so useful. THANK YOU

Posted

Yshish is the creator of that Breeding Cycles chart. 😉 It is linked in the FAQs in the " FAQ - 4th AL: Breeding cycles, mating behavior, mixed colonies, site locations "

Posted

@gardenmaeve I'd like to highlight that I used breeding cycles created by someone else as a reference, the original ones come from Pinguins info

Posted

but can't be linked directly to the Talk so I had to draw my own. Anyway, they were approved by the scientists 😃

Posted

It's just what was needed. So, thank you! 😃

Posted