Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ0007nrx

Subject APZ0007nrx Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• coldcounter by coldcounter

Difficult to distinguish between 3/4 grown chicks and parents 😃 I am sure that I was not 100% accurate but hopefully it will help the

Posted

scientists. In fact, I am not altogether sure that this is not a mixed colony as I have been confused with the height and size of the adult

Posted

birds before .... anyone got any thoughts on that ?

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

I see only #gentoos here. You are of course correct that it's tricky to tell adults from nearly mature chicks at this distance.

Posted

I can easily enlarge it and clearly see chicks VS adults now, but that isn't possible when we're classifying.

Posted

So, what to do? The FAQs have the answer: When in doubt, mark as adult.

Posted

When you can clearly see a bird lacks the major signs of maturity... such as the adult gentoo full head flash and black throat,

Posted

or it doesn't have the dark black chin of adult adelies, mark it as a chick. I

Posted

I often re-read the FAQs because there is so much helpful, easy information there. Here's a helpful section for this question: http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ0000007/discussions/DPZ0000ac2

Posted

I think that is what I have done with most of the marking @gardenmaeve 😃 they just got a bit blurry and if they looked closer to adult

Posted

size and I couldn't see the head I marked them as adults. My other comment re mix is a general observations from here... There have been

Posted

times when time wise - say November - you should only see adults but the image will have a few stray birds that are only half the height of

Posted

the majority. They shouldn't be chicks and I don't think it is a distance perspective thing so I can only think they are "visitors" ? 😃

Posted

Adult gentoos: 51 to 90 cm (20 to 35 in), with the males being considerably taller than females. I wonder if you are seeing that size range?

Posted

We know there can be various penguin species within a general rookery area...

Posted

but if we can see only gentoo marks, we know we are seeing gentoo birds only- make sense?

Posted

For our purpose here it really doesn't matter. The scientists know exactly what species are at each location. We mark only adults and chicks. 😉

Posted

I didn't realise there was a height difference between the sexes and on reflection I reckon that may well be what I have noticed. Thanks 😃

Posted

Yep- it's about the only visual way to tell male from female, but not reliable for gender ID. Glad to help! Thanks for your faithful work!

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Interesting - in small garden birds the female can be the larger because of the requirement to produce eggs. 😃

Posted

In species like the Bald and Golden eagles, hawks, and owls the females tend to be larger. The same is true for hummingbirds.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

At penguins, sometimes chicks can appear even bigger than adults .) And yes, the male/female size differences are not significant in these pictures.

Posted