Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ0007tle

Subject APZ0007tle Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• coldcounter by coldcounter

OK Crazy Question Time : look at the size of the feet on the two front pengs. One pair are much longer than the other. Is this a difference

Posted

between the sexes? Or what? Seems strange that the the foot length is so different.... ???

Posted

• Motherjoanne by Motherjoanne

Interesting. Who's been nibbling on penguin toes?

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

They do look different. I'll measure them up. Never heard of that sort of difference between the sexes...but I'll try to hunt

Posted

out an answer folks 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Yes,there are some small size differences of body parts between both sexes as well as between Northern(bigger) and Southern(smaller) Gentoos

Posted

oh! great information yshish! Very interesting. I know that some garden birds have bigger females than males simply to aid egg laying 😃

Posted

I actually haven't find any evidence about a foot length differences yet. They measure the whole body length, the bill, flippers, tail.

Posted

And then the 'tarsus' length, which I thought is the part above the foot. But I may be wrong!

Posted

Well, here it is! https://fossilpenguins.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/tour-of-the-penguin-skeleton.jpg (The ankle bone! 😃)

Posted

That's an amazing picture - really good info! 😃

Posted

Think I will have to ask more crazy questions .... so much great information comes back to us from you all ... I should be marking and I am

Posted

off reading a scientific paper, checking out a cool image of the standard penguin, looking at vidoes & other stuff. Wonderful exchange!! 😃

Posted

Well I reckon that's all fair coldcounter. This is all voluntary, the only benefit you can reap is to see beautiful creatures in a

Posted

beautiful environment, enjoy the community of other volunteers, and last but by no means least, indulge in learning more about the

Posted

world we live in. AND you're helping scientists from one of the finest universities in the world to change the status of Antarctic waters to

Posted

protect one of our fellow travellers on this weird and wonderful third-planet-from-the-sun. (Being part of the Zooniverse makes

Posted

me burst with pride..can you tell? 😉 )

Posted

Couldn't half tell .... but you are exactly right. I am also part of an online team (less than 200 people) that are marking and eradicating

Posted

noxious rubber vine that strangles and poisons in the Kimberley in West Australia ... important work there but an onground team of FOUR

Posted

with our help are eradicating it from a 30km square region !! and all volunteers !!! (my other hobby horse!)

Posted

Cor! that's amazing coldcounter 😄 Good on'ya! #dailyzoo. What our brilliant volunteers get up to!

Posted