Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ00082vu

Subject APZ00082vu Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• Purrfect_Penguin by Purrfect_Penguin

Oh no, I think he knows! I think the one on the right is on to us...

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter

Oh I think you're right we are certainly being given the eye 😄 😄

Posted

😉 He has definitely noticed the camera 😉

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Penguins don't have binocular vision, so that penguin is not looking at the camera. 😉 We see instead body language showing aggression.

Posted

If you're interested, here's more information: http://www.pinguins.info/Engels/Taal_agres_eng.html

Posted

Well I'd be aggressive if strangers were taking photos of me all the time! 😉

Posted

Thanks for the link - "Threatening stares" ouuuh I think that's what we get 😉

Posted

You're welcome.

Posted

In general the penguins appear to quickly become used to the automated cameras. It's not as if a person was standing in their faces making photos. 😉

Posted

Instead, each camera ( often more than one camera) is fastened to a tall pole and the pole is stabilized in a wire basket of large stones.

Posted

Thus Dr. Tom Hart and his colleagues have planned for the barest minimum of stress to the penguins. 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

BTW, we're on 98 % done with the current data set (and the number's still growing!) So exciting 😃

Posted

Wow impressive! Well I hope there will be enough pictures left for me to reach 1.000 classified photos 😉

Posted

There are already new images ready to be released. You'll have plenty of opportunities to reach that goal. 😃

Thanks for the good news, @yshish .

Posted

Haha OK I see, I'll be counting penguins for the next years 😉

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

There's a nice thought Purrfect_Penguin 😄

Posted

😉 Puuh I'll start dreaming of penguins I guess 😉 At roughly 870 photos at the moment 😉

Posted

Well done, keep going! 😄 (I'm at about 6800, it's surprising how the number builds on a little bit of time every day 😃 )

Posted

• linda790 by linda790

how do we see the # we have classified?

Posted

Haha 6.800?!? Will never catch up with you, that's for sure! 😉

Posted

@linda790 when on then classify-screen, click PROFILE in the menu at the top of the page. That's all the pictures you have classified 😉

Posted

• linda790 by linda790

only 127? that seems so low! 😦

Posted

Hi linda open up classification picture and you will you see your name in the top right corner of that webpage? Click your picture icon (you

Posted

are still using the zooniverse icon circle-with-line) to go to your own central zooniverse project count page. Not all of the projects are

Posted

well linked in so numbers can be a bit off, but I reckon PW is OK. For even more information click on your name on that stats page,

Posted

and it will offer you an option for 'profile' which leads to a new page that has your stats ribbon. If you chose settings then customize,

Posted

then profile you can change your icon picture to something you like. 😃

Posted

You'll get there Purrfect_Penguin probably faster than you think! You're 10% of the way already 😄

Posted

Fortunately, it's not a competition. Every image you mark carefully is one more step for helping the penguins. 😄

Posted

True, not a competition & I'm doing my best to catch them all... 😉

Posted

@AvastMH if you stop classifying I might have a chance 😉

Posted

• linda790 by linda790

ok I changed my avatar on the Z page, but it has not changed here on PW. Also I see I am actually at 1519 images, that sounds more like it!

Posted

Hi Linda, You might find that you only get the avatar picture once you're completely logged out of the Zooniverse and then

Posted

come back in again - should show up next time you log in 😃 Let me know if not 😃

Posted

Hi Purrfect_Penguin, I cannot imagine trying to chill out after a long day at work without the fun of marking a few pengs. But I bet you get

Posted

more done than I do and catch up. As gardenmaeve says it's not a race, but seeing those figures rise is nice. When you're a

Posted

moderator you just have less time to classify 😉 😃

Posted

• linda790 by linda790

hooray! it shows up now! 😃

Posted

But just to say that it will help you if I get a stack of the King Pengs because I love taking time to mark as many as possible there 😉

Posted

• linda790 by linda790

(me on South Georgia at the largest King Penguin colony!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Yeah! We've done over 3,700,000 classifications all together! Check out the project Home page for the exact number 😃 Thanks everyone!

Posted

Hi Linda - oh no - I can't see it - I'll probably get it tomorrow - sounds interesting 😄 !

Posted

3.7 million classifications - that's great news @yshish 😄 Our volunteers are super. 😄

Posted