Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ00087ql

Subject APZ00087ql Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• jumpin by jumpin

I'm wondering what the red substance is on the ground. Is it food/fish remains? I'm assuming from the color it's not feces.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Yes, and no 😃

It is faeces (often called poo here) coloured by the krill of which they eat so many.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Yes, krill contain carotenoid which is also a source for the red pigment of their beaks! 😃

Posted

• Motherjoanne by Motherjoanne

And the pink in Flamingo feathers. Is there a Flamingo Watch? I wonder why the penguin feathers don't get colored.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

It would not be an advantage to be a pink bellied penguin. The white stomach allows them to be almost invisible to a predator (like a seal)

Posted

who is swimming underneath them. Their black back makes them virtually invisible to a predator swimming above them. The Flamingos breed

Posted

earlier and have better partners when they are as pink as possible. Perhaps this shows that they are successful feeders? At any rate

Posted

Flamingoes have found it valuable to have preening oil that contains the carotinoids absorbed from the shrimp. For penguins, such a

Posted

colour would put the penguin at far greater risk of predation. I did see some pink penguins here - reflecting a beautiful

Posted

sunset in that beautifully glossy white plumage. A nice safe pink! 😃

Posted

I was wondering what the biological process could be that colors the flamingo feathers and not the penguins.

Posted

Hi Motherjoanne, back to you soon on this subject - just discovering some very interesting science about fluorescing penguins!

Posted

Wow. Let us know. Thanks. If I ate enough fluorescing plankton, could I start to glow in the water? Skinny dipping would never be the same!

Posted

😄 got plenty of info - but need to log off (boo hiss!!!) So I'll pick up on this tomorrow night! Don;t go glowing in the dark just yet! 😄

Posted

http://www.mncn.csic.es/docs/repositorio//es_ES//investigacion/Ecologia_evolutiva/Cuervo/1441.pdf has amazing details that I'll summarize

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

As far as I know, the intensity of the red colouration of their beak is supposed to reflect their sexual attraction and health condition.

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter

Wow, great line of discussion. It never ceases to amaze me how much time and effort the moderators and others put into finding

Posted

answers to everyone's questions and responding to our sometimes very silly observations.... Thank you all. 😃 😃

Posted

Now, to go and read up on carotids .....

Posted

I had a great flash when carotids led to carytids and I visioned a row of penguins supporting the roof over the porch on the Acropolis.

Posted

I so wish I was a cartoonist and could draw an elegant penguin version of the caryatids! 😄
    So if you've read up on carotids you'll

Posted

have plenty of blood going to your brain to help your thought processes along (wink!) 😉 What yshish says is true and counts for

Posted

flamingoes as well 'As far as I know, the intensity of the red colouration of their beak is supposed to reflect their sexual attraction and

Posted

health condition.' But the flamingoes can afford to have a really dazzling show of how good they are at finding food (that's got to be a

Posted

real attraction for your partner!) by going pink all over. The penguins dare not.
    The yellow in penguin feathers (think of our

Posted

Macaronis and Kings) is highly unusual - for more info, this article covers some of the science (it's

Posted

(snicker) ... the vision of buxom penguins holding up the Acropolis .... I'd travel to Greece to see that !!! 😃 😃

Posted

It might solve many problems - the tourist rate would rise exponentially! 😄

Posted

Penguins to the rescue!

Posted

Yeah! 😄 😄 ;D - see - I always say how talented our feathery friends are 😃

Posted