Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ0008ka2

Subject APZ0008ka2 Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Rather a lovely optical illusion in the bottom right corner: The markings on the head of the lowest penguin combine with ...

Posted

the shoulder of the poo-striped penguin to create the appearance of a third penguin head. 😃

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

oh - I can't see it - sob 😢 I'll pop back and try it again later 😃

Posted

@AvastMH- the illusion bird's (black) beak is parallel and diagonally slightly below #2's beak. pointing the same direction.

Posted

The illusion beak is actually penguin #1's black forehead, and the base of the illusion beak is #1's orange beak tip. 😉

Posted

• Zilli by Zilli translator

puh, you got problems! 😉 I use to look at the date every time a pic pops up. So I know, whether there can be chicks or not. Also, I've

Posted

• Zilli by Zilli translator

seen so many pics from The Rock that I know, for most nests, where they are and how many chicks they have. Soon I'll mark them blind 😉

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Don't go by the date only. We are interested in chicks/eggs out of season too! 😉 They are rarely seen but we have found some already.

Posted

oh - GOT IT!!!! it was so good I couldn't see it - silly me! 😄

Posted

😄
    One of the things I watch for- haven't found any yet- is indications a Gentoo pair has tried a late nesting after a failed early nest.

Posted

My reading indicates most of those second try nests fail. There isn't enough remaining time in the season for chicks to develop, eat well, and moult before winter hits hard.

Posted

That's interesting gardenmaeve. The few bits of literature I've found about this mentioned Northern Gentoos (I guess the Falklands area) :-\

Posted