Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ0008nxd

Subject APZ0008nxd Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• Katney by Katney

Some that could be penguins or rocks.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Wow- sorry you never got a reply, @Katney! Yes, this photo shows how well the penguins' camouflage works.

Posted

I look for rounded rock with tails . Sometimes a beak or flipper line shows. I look for a difference in the way the light hits the birds.

Posted

Any time you aren't sure it's a penguin, don't mark it- just use "Too many penguins to count" and all will be well. So sorry for the delay!

Posted

• asb2718 by asb2718

Missed marking one 😦
    Incubation. Would be beautiful twilight at this time of the year.
    Much closer to the Antarctic circle.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Don't worry, many others have marked this image already and I am sure someone did mark it properly.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

We got a beautiful dawn here once or twice - here you go:
    https://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/subjects/APZ00083ep 😃

Posted

• asb2718 by asb2718

Smashing @AvastMH. Thanks for sharing. The sunrises and sunsets nearer the poles are incredibly lovely. Would love to know the latitude.

Posted

• asb2718 by asb2718

I am guessing around 63 degrees S (Is this information shareable? If not, its just fine.).

Posted

Sadly we don't get that information. Once or twice we've been lucky enough to find out where a place is because it's been recognized by

Posted

a volunteer, but no luck with this one 😦 It looks similar to the weather/snow levels on Petermann Island which we've seen before

Posted

and is at Degrees 65.17 South, Degrees -64.14 West. So your guess at 63 degrees is pretty close 😄

Posted

• smackay_pt by smackay_pt

Without seeing the date it would be hard to tell that the birds on the left weren't chicks. Also this is high up - was it too hot lower down

Posted

Hmmm... Except for a few not fully visible (thus are automatically marked adult per FAQs) all are clearly adults with full headflash and black throat.

Posted

You're right to check the date though- it's a good way to anticipate what might be expected in an image.

Posted

Nest sites are usually chosen for other reasons- good snow melt drainage, a northerly exposure, and availability of nesting materials.

Posted

Gentoos generally prefer a fairly flat rookery slightly elevated above the surrounding ground. This view is a tiny part of the rookery.

Posted

This steep slope is what was available, overcrowded even, based on territorial confrontations we've observed here.

Posted

• fred_neill by fred_neill

Yes, they can be in precarious spots on this rocky outcrop - i.e. there is often one on the steep just behind the one centre left

Posted