Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ00091vl

Subject APZ00091vl Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• Norsetroll76 by Norsetroll76

I'm going with petrels for the bigger two but unsure of others - skuas, gulls, other petrels?

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Amazing- I think that's the most non-penguin birds we've seen on PW (ten flying and swimming??). If I were marking I would likely have decided all were skuas...

Posted

...but marking each one as "Other" would be sufficient. The body angle of some makes it hard to be sure whether some might be non-skua...

Posted

...but I don't agree with petrels for the two closer birds on our right. Both skuas, with characteristic gull-like shape and white markings.

Posted

If you're thinking of Southern giant petrel, shape and size are way off...especially look at head and beak profile. There were still moulting penguins here on Egg_Rock three days before: https://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/subjects/APZ00091vk

Posted

@yshish - What birds do you see here, please?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

@gardenmaeve I am confused. They all look like Skua to me but the 2nd from the right (front left) it so much reminds me of a Petrel by the shape.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

They're too blurry 😕 Sorry.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

I've never seen a flock of skuas before 😕 It does look like that is what they are though.

Posted

Thanks, @yshish and @AvastMH . There 2 whose shapes might suggest one of the smaller petrels to me, but perhaps we just can't be sure.

Posted

@Norsetroll76 - Thanks so much for posting this image. Quite interesting. 😃

Posted