Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ000a0fs

Subject APZ000a0fs Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• Hatschi by Hatschi

The one in the center looks like sitting in a puddle of melted marshmellows πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„

Posted

• Physicsfreek by Physicsfreek

penguin al la mode. Do those belly flaps have a name?

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter

Wizard of Oz..... I'm melting... I'm melting.!!!!

Posted

Hi @Physicsfreek ! Well just before they melt down completely into the worst end of the Wizard of Oz (thanks @coldcounter πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ ) it's

Posted

called a brood flap. So you were pretty close πŸ˜„ Rockhopper, Emperor, and King pengiuns also have them. They look very cosy.

Posted

Just to mention that the Rockhoppers and Macaronis lay two eggs each, but Emperors and Kings only one.

Posted

• seaurchin by seaurchin

Marconi penguins

Posted

• seaurchin by seaurchin

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Hi, @seaurchin - Yes, these are Macaroni penguins. Beautiful, aren't they? πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Lots of old images re surfacing today ... are we at the end of the dataset?

Posted

OOPPS ... I just ran out of data !!!! Hurry up and load a new data set for us Dr. Tom ..... we're eager and raring to go!!!!

Posted

• Ra_Ra_604 by Ra_Ra_604

appear to have eggs but they can't be seen

Posted

Yes @Ra_Ra_604 they are incubating. It will be a little while yet before chicks appear but they will. We only mark what we can see. πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

That's correct, @coldcounter , while those who have classified many images are out of data, there may still be some photos in the system.

Posted

Moderators will keep you posted as to when new data will be ready. Thanks! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Most folks will still have photos available for marking for a little while. πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Is that code for.... You do too many!!!!!

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

I've been getting the same @coldcounter ... 😦

Posted

Those who mark many, many, always run through the set sooner than those who manage to mark a few in their precious time available...but we really are at the tail end. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

I saw your post about this data set nearly (or is) finished. It is gratifying to know that so many folks are here, helping the penguins!

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

I look forward to the next set, and heartily endorse your suggestion that folks can pop over to Plankton Portal for a bit! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

πŸ˜ƒ Thanks https://www.planktonportal.org/ would really need some help these days as we are only about 30 % done with the current data sets (there are two at once!).

Posted

• Maebh by Maebh

My first and second macaroni picture one after the other. They have impressive rolls of belly fat don't they?

Posted

Those flaps are so important. They form a nice warm pouch to house both eggs. They store fat further up their fronts. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• LYTAKEDA by LYTAKEDA

Eggs are so hard to mark aaaah

Posted

Hi @LYTAKEDA πŸ˜ƒ That is so true, and especially so with Macaroni penguins πŸ˜ƒ In fact we don't see many eggs at all on PW . I hope you find

Posted

one soon. We are nearly finished with these pictures, but more will arrive soon πŸ˜„

Posted

• MissyMiller by MissyMiller

The penguins are nesting and preparing to lay their eggs.

Posted

Hello @MissyMiller πŸ˜ƒ They are indeed sitting on nests but they have already laid their eggs by this time in December. It is very difficult

Posted

to spot eggs, especially with Macaroni penguins. But keep marking and you may see one πŸ˜„

Posted

Hi @coldcounter πŸ˜„ just popping by for a few minutes πŸ˜„

Posted

Hi @AvastMH πŸ˜„ have got two windows open ... one of PW for any questions that pop up and working on PP (much to my hesitation!) :~

Posted

Seeing I'm locked out .... gotta do something useful somewhere and PP seemed the best option πŸ˜„ But signing off now ... back again later.

Posted

The last picture I got I tried to re-load, normally brings up a new picture, but just go this one again. Might be I'm out too πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Nope - I'm locked out too. New volunteers - we are nearly finished with this set of pictures. More will be coming soon though πŸ˜„

Posted

• Ivanrom by Ivanrom

Hello! When i did it, i thought -its very old foto. Is it usefull?

Posted

Yes, it's useful as practice. New images are being loaded and may be available soon, once they are activated. Thank you for your help!

Posted

• amcguire8779 by amcguire8779

I didn't see any eggs, but it appears a lot of them are on nests

Posted

Hello @amcguire8779 πŸ˜ƒ Those egss cannot be left out in the cold for more than 5 minutes so swap-over moments between parents, or the odd

Posted

moment when the parent stands to have a stretch and shift the egg around, are very rare indeed. It surprises a lot of people new to

Posted

marking penguins. We hope to have new pictures so do please keep trying to find an egg! πŸ˜„

Posted

• aennchen by aennchen

eggs not visible, but in the nests for sure

Posted

Yes, we hope eggs are in the nest, but we mark only eggs we see in the nests, as always. πŸ˜‰

Posted

• Seaturtlesrule by Seaturtlesrule

I believe they are nesting with eggs but didn't mark since eggs are not visible.

Posted

Very good, @Seaturtlesrule , exactly as asked in the FAQ. You'll see that others agree with you! πŸ˜ƒ (Scroll down to read others' comments.)

Posted

• pwinks by pwinks

It appears as though they are nesting with eggs. How cool!

Posted

Yes, that's right- but we can only mark eggs we really see in the nests. πŸ˜‰

Posted

Update regarding new photos, posted in Chat: https://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ000000d/discussions/DPZ0000wmc?page=1&comment_id=593c51d761ec36007100088f

Posted

We're still waiting for new photos to be made available...there are plenty more to come down the pipeline! (Here's a change from the "knitting" photo! πŸ˜‰ )

Posted

One of the first jumpers I knitted was way too big - and looked just like a Macaroni's stomach flap πŸ˜‰

Posted

Spin dry would have fixed the jumper but I don't think it would be of benefit for these guys!

Posted

Now there's a thought to conjure with @coldcounter πŸ˜„ Mind you, it would be great to have a jumper that shed water off it like a penguin πŸ˜„

Posted

• Hatschi by Hatschi

Oh, Ithink everyone missed their target size at least once in their needlework carreer πŸ˜ƒ I started a hat that ended up being a large bag

Posted

πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ that's so true Hatschi. I made a pair of socks that fitted nicely over the shoe - oops!

Posted

@AvastMH - Your pattern was simply misnamed. You made custom shoe protectors! πŸ˜„

Posted

Custom shoe protectors are all the go in Svalbard! @AvastMH potential market????

Posted

Oooo - @gardenmaeve and @coldcounter that might well be the answer!! The last socks I made were a type of knitting called needlebinding

Posted

It's what the vikings used to use to make woolen items. It's more like knotting, so when you get a hole in it, it never unravels...clever!

Posted

• Blodosaurus by Blodosaurus

Have to say the helpful, patient and cheery PW moderators stand out from the other projects in Zooniverse, thanks @AvastMH @gardenmaeve 😊!

Posted

Thank you, @Blodosaurus...@yshish is here as well πŸ˜‰

Posted

Oh gosh- thank you Blodosaurus. Can I say for me, and I am sure for gardenmaeve and yshish as well, that you are all a delight to work with

Posted

Every project has its 'down times' when images are being processed. It's been wonderful knowing that many volunteers have stayed by PW as

Posted

the new pictures from the frozen wastes of Antarctica are thawed out for us πŸ˜„ (I'm so glad not to be a camera out there!)

Posted

• Hatschi by Hatschi

Oh, a fellow needle binder πŸ˜„ I just spent a nice part of my weekend at a medieval faire mending a needlebound sock.

Posted

• Hatschi by Hatschi

@ Blodosaurus: yes, bestest moderators EVER on PW πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Oh my! Hatschi - that's amazing! Perhaps we should be needle binding jumpers for poorly penguins πŸ˜„ I've never yet met another person who

Posted

knows n/binding. There's a small online group, but that's it. I've made socks (in Dalarna stitch - thick and warm) and hats so far. πŸ˜„

Posted

'bestest moderators EVER on PW' - thank you πŸ˜„ We always try to do our best for you and the penguins πŸ˜„

Posted

OK - question - what do you think penguins make of a solar eclipse? Next few eclipses are:

Posted

Please note the little envelope icon telling you that you have a personal message is not working just now. I'll report this fault πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Can you lovely Penguiners help the Batters @ Arizona Batwatch plse? https://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/boards/BPZ000000f/discussions/DPZ0000wmg

Posted

• Hatschi by Hatschi

@AvastMH Dalarna is great. Love that one. I often use Oslo, Mammen/Korgen and BrodΓ©n, too. Don't fancy Tarim stitch though.

Posted

• Hatschi by Hatschi

Bats are great! We have some around here and sometimes I see them fluttering around.

Posted

Oh Tarim stitch - what a headache - I could not turn rows at all - only go in circles, it was very odd. Glad you have bats! We do too πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Hatschi by Hatschi

Boah! @AvastMH - those bats are contagious! Can't stop classifying just as with the pengs O.O

Posted

Hehehehe! I did quite a few pictures because I wanted to be able to tick 'saw a snake'. But no luck πŸ˜‰

Posted

Hello all! I am in Devon and have seen some nice flying birds. Stonechats, Wheatears, Housemartins. πŸ˜€

Posted

Have a lovely time in lovely Devon, @AvastMH !

Posted

• Hatschi by Hatschi

Batwatch is out of data too O.O

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

@Hatschi Don't worry, there are still plenty images to be classified on https://www.planktonportal.org/ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜„

Posted

• Hatschi by Hatschi

πŸ˜„ Guess what the master of the house said yesterday when I told him PW & BW are out of data. "Go and count krill" he said πŸ˜„

Posted

Sounds like fine advice to me @Hatschi ! πŸ˜„

Posted

• Hatschi by Hatschi

And I followed it and found some critters during my lunch break πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Hatschi by Hatschi

I am a slow marker as I have to compare those plankton guys with the tutorial a lot.

Posted

So do I, @Hatschi. It still is a help!

Posted