Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ000a2kk

Subject APZ000a2kk Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• Norsetroll76 by Norsetroll76

There's another skua sitting on the rock behind the one first one I marked. Not sure what white object on right center is.

Posted

• Sitandslide by Sitandslide

There's 2 snowy sheathbills which together are probably the white object, and indeed two skuas on the right (took me a bit to spot the 2nd!)

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Oh, yes! Well spotted @Norsetroll76 It took me a while to spot the second Skua! 😄 Not sure but there could even be a dead chick in front of them. What do you think?

Posted

(I'm not very familiar with this site, since I mostly see it blurred to see the terrain well enough.)

Posted

• Norsetroll76 by Norsetroll76

Could be a dead chick that I was questioning.

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter

I think you actually have three skuas there, the pale object being another one looks as if it is scavenging. Looking over the top of it,

Posted

head toward us and down, and shoulder towards us and the square at the back the tail....

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Two days before this, a visit from Southern giant petrels: https://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/subjects/APZ000a1zs

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

I hate to say this but I dread to think that our Maccas are a picnic parlour for every predatory bird around South Georgia 😦

Posted

@coldcounter Yes! You seem to be right! 😃 It really looks like another skua. I can see it when you said it.

Posted

Don't worry AvastMH ... the penguin population in South Georgia on all species heavily outweighs the skua and petrel population. I actually

Posted

think it very harmonious between the species the majority of the time. The skuas and petrels are excellent opportunists and while we might

Posted

not like it, they are doing exactly the same as the pengs ... raising their young. oopps, almost in favour of the skuas 😄 😄

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

😄

Posted