Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ000ahpq

Subject APZ000ahpq Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• Norsetroll76 by Norsetroll76

Tan/khaki blobs close to bottom of photo/middle - elephant seals? Can you tell me where this is?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Definitely some seals,unfortunately, I can't ID them from this distance. Maybe someone else could tell better.We are not told the locations

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

of individual sites,there are too many of them(over 100 cameras). We can tell only the most obvious ones or those we have asked about already

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

I think that there's an idea that this might be the bottom of Volcano Slope, and if so there's a chance that it might be on Danger Island.

Posted

or was it Deception Island. @coldcounter - can you help please?

Posted

Nice to know that yellow skua scarers still roam the Antarctic. 😄 I wonder what the red flag is for (centre/right beach)?

Posted

• Sitandslide by Sitandslide

Doesn't look like Deception Island. There, you land inside the volcano's caldera, which this isn't. (And there's no beaches on the outside.)

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

"At least 20 metres must be maintained from seismic monitoring equipment, which will be marked with a red flag."
    Deception Island: http://www.deceptionisland.aq/

Posted

Even if not Deception Island, the red flag may well have the same meaning. 😉

Posted

What about Baily Head on the south east coast of Deception? http://www.deceptionisland.aq/map.php

Posted

"a long linear beach which runs along most of the eastern side of Deception Island...one of the largest colonies of
    chinstrap penguins (Pygoscelis antarctica) in Antarctica" http://www.deceptionisland.aq/documents/visitor_sites_code_of_conduct.pdf

Posted

• Norsetroll76 by Norsetroll76

Was wondering whether it might be Deception Island since I know ships put in there - main reason for asking - thanks.

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter

Hi. Been off air for a couple of days and just back briefly to see this feed. I agreed with Sitandslide, the tourist vessels go into the

Posted

caldera which does have landings like this ... however it does not have open sea in the background and the "outside" of the island from

Posted

what I saw which was the eastern side is all steep cliffs straight into the sea. We were told about the large colony of chinstraps at the

Posted

northern tip and also that landing was difficult there. This is not a difficult landing. Will have to wait until I get back to my big screen

Posted

Thanks, all!

Posted

Oh, and regarding the "blobs" .... they be elephant seals....

Posted