Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ000arxx

Subject APZ000arxx Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• R_ocarra by R_ocarra

Trying to figure out if there is a single chick on the mid right of the picture facing camera. Partial molt or if it is partial leucistic

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter

Gee @R_ocarra that sure does look like a partial leucistic. We generally try to keep track of them and I do not recall any being seen here

Posted

before. The mods will be back soon and I know they will be most interested too. Let's see what they think, but to me, the head looks pale..

Posted

@gardenmaeve, @AvastMH .... is it or isn't it? that is the question 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Its head is bent the way we can see only the white throat. No parts that are supposed to be dark appear white there so I wouldn't speak of leucism.

Posted

To me, it looks the way it should. Well, we can't tell what the colour of its head is unless we can see it. But there is too small chance the colour isn't right.

Posted

Anyway, thanks for asking. It is always exciting to find a leucistic penguin in our data 😃

Posted

• Singing_Ginger by Singing_Ginger

To me it looks like we can see most of the head and the head is white. Perhaps I need a better zoom facility though.

Posted

Ah, no. There is no beak or eyes visible. Can you see the chick on the left with its head bent to the side? It is a typical chick posture.

Posted

I can see why you think you can see the head there. Their throats are dirty from lying on the ground. Just a visual trick.

Posted