Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ000bat1

Subject APZ000bat1 Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• asb2718 by asb2718

HUmans crossing over....

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Oh yes - hope they didn't get too close! 😄

Posted

• asb2718 by asb2718

How close can you get till the penguins become conscious/attack?

Posted

• grannieannie by grannieannie

We were told to stay 3m back from the edge of the colony, stay still and quiet, then the penguins will come to you!

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter

Ditto, grannieannie, they are curious and only defend not attacking in nature. Very curious and complacent about us.

Posted

We are really lucky to have so many people who have been to the Antarctic and can tell us what it's like 😄

Posted

• alan2here by alan2here

Mark all the penguins, and the human animals too, therapeutic 😃

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Welcome, @alan2here - Yes, it can be therapeutic 😃 . Do please follow the FAQ protocol...

Posted

When marking people, mark those nearest the penguins, and a single mark will suffice within a group of people. 😃 FAQ 6.

Posted

Boatwrecks just popped up again 😃

Posted

IF YOU GET AN 'OUT OF PICTURES MESSAGE'. Try to reload your browser to get a picture. We get practice pictures between sets usually.

Posted

I will try to get a timeline for new pictures as soon as possible for you all.

Posted

Congratulations to our volunteers for completing another large set of picture classifications! 😄

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Just to avoid confusion, we are not done with the current data set yet. Still need your help! 😃

Posted

• Kaxy67 by Kaxy67

Is it bad that I was immediately thrilled by the researchers in the background? Haha

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter

No, it's not. Some of us have been known to go looking for ourselves!!! 😃 😃

Posted

• Lalalikespenguins by Lalalikespenguins

OMG, I see humans!

Posted

Well, humans do visit Antarctica, whether in carefully regulated encounters through cruises or as parts of scientific teams like our Penguin Watch scientists. 😉

Posted

Good for you for observing closely enough to recognize them...marked as Humans in the Other list, of course! 😃

Posted

• pennski by pennski

I think this is the first time I have seen humans and penguins in the same picture. Certainly this is the closest they've been (for me).

Posted

It's often a bit of a shock when we first see humans with the penguins. Quite a few cruises include visits to penguin rookeries.

Posted

• aberystwythjessica by aberystwythjessica

What is the structure at the top of the picture on the ground - like fencing or an old boat, next to the humans?

Posted

There are old whaling boats there- 2, as I recall.

Posted

• Maebh by Maebh

That's not an egg under the most close penguin?

Posted

That's OK @jetcahill, others will have marked them. No one can change your classifications, so it's good to look once more before finishing.

Posted

Please remove that # mark, though. 😉 It slipped in when you were looking at the humans. (Edited to say we removed it for you!)

Posted

@Maebh - Not an egg- that's an adorable but mostly hidden chick.

Posted

• Snorkmaidenuk by Snorkmaidenuk

Are those scientists? I don't like to think of cruises going the Antarctic and letting people just wander about. it should be kept pristine.

Posted

@Snorkmaiden - Some people learn to value Antarctica when carefully restricted cruise groups visit. There are clear rules in place.

Posted

Therefore, both scientists and visitors (including some of our volunteers here) are able to visit under clear guidelines.

Posted

Hi @Snorkmaidenuk (love that name by the way 😃 . As @gardenmaeve states the rules for visitors are strict.

Posted

If you want to know more about those tight visitor regulations: https://iaato.org/en_GB/visitor-guidelines

Posted