Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ000bo0k

Subject APZ000bo0k Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• leena.inkila by leena.inkila

Not sure which ones are adults and which ones chicks.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hi leena.inkila when you are not sure of the penguin's age, please mark it as an adult. That is good for our scientists. Thank you. 😄

Posted

• gtedbury by gtedbury

I've marked all distant birds as adults, even though obviously some aren't. Not sure about some in foreground either!

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

That's right- when you can't tell if chick/adult, please always mark as adult. Thanks. The FAQ section explains how to mark. 😃

Posted

This is also a good example of when to end with "There are too many penguins..." 😉

Posted

• rmdb by rmdb

Marked all penguins as adults, also the ones with the greyish bellies, which are probably older chickens.

Posted

Excellent choice of marking @rmdb 😃 That is exactly what keeps the system happy when you are not sure of the bird's age 😃

Posted

• scinewsscifi by scinewsscifi

If we move on after 30, I'm interested how the easiest being counted 1st and some being skipped is accounted for (in the too many category?)

Posted

We ask specifically that you count nearest to the camera first- in cameras collecting reproduction information that's the vital area.

Posted

The science team and programmers have had time over the years to access accuracy- the present protocol works well for accuracy when folks read and follow the FAQ section...that's important.

Posted

• fallingnarwhals by fallingnarwhals

so many good penguins!!! so many good ones

Posted

😃 😃 Yes, I'm happy you've gotten a photo with so many penguins. 😃

Posted

We would mark all of these as Adult because both adults and the almost grown chicks are moulting, so we can't tell if adult or chick!

Posted

• spotovae by spotovae

so many penguings!

Posted

Hello @spotovae 😄 Yes - they are a wonderful sight! Lots of healthy chicks, all about to grow up and get their adult feathers and one or

Posted

two adults as well 😄 If you are not sure if it is a chick - simply mark as 'adult' - easy 😄

Posted

• Singing_Ginger by Singing_Ginger

The chicks near the front are still pretty obvious as their beaks haven't achieved the adult orange yet. They still have pale beaks.

Posted

Hmmm - that's an interesting thing to notice @Singin_Ginger. The adult have more intensely orange beak when

Posted

they eat krill. I wonder if the pink of the krill leaches out into the adult's stomach prior to regurgitation? I'll try to

Posted

investigate that. When I've seen pictures of krill being regurgitated it looks quite pale. 😃

Posted

It's an interesting question. I've opened a Science Discussion so we can look into it more deeply.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Actually, there are some clear chicks present too - you can tell by the white throat feathers, and also by the small unclear white head patch. It gets bigger after getting the adult plumage.

Posted