Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ000bumc

Subject APZ000bumc Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• Edyflwr by Edyflwr

Another image with amazing pancake ice.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

The pancakes here are good there's no doubt of that @Edyflwr . Now in my 'Sea Ice' collection 😄

Posted

• Edyflwr by Edyflwr

How does it form?

Posted

As the seawater begins to freeze it forms crystals that grow together to form plates. Where water is disturbed the plates knock around and

Posted

pointy bits get knocked off so eventually they form round plates. These eventually join up to make a whole sheet of ice. Bear in

Posted

mind that the pancakes shown here may have been blown in by wind or brought in by a tide 😃 Hope this helps @Edyflwr 😄

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

For a good read on ice in all of it's forms (and there are many) Barry Lopez, Arctic Dreams; chapter "Ice and Light"

Posted

• Edyflwr by Edyflwr

Thanks! @AvastMH

Posted

• Edyflwr by Edyflwr

Thanks @suzeroo! I'm currently somewhere snowy & icy. Each day is slightly different. I'd love to read more about it.

Posted

• suzeroo by suzeroo

I hear ya.. did a lot of slip-sliding to work today..

Posted

I'm using two crutches at the moment - with 'flexifoot' bungs. You can get additional ends = mini-crampons. Bring on the ice! 😄

Posted

• Edyflwr by Edyflwr

Mini-crampons for your crutches? That sounds dangerous, or hard core. No ice today. Today's special feature is avalanches. And wind.

Posted

Well that'll start anyone's day with a big wake-up call @Edyflwr ! Breakfast: a cup of coffee, slice of toast and an avalanche 😮 ( 😉 )

Posted