Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ000e1z5

Subject APZ000e1z5 Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• Edyflwr by Edyflwr

There's a bright spot on the water on the right side of image. Could that be Venus? It's sometimes bright in the mornings. 😃

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

I see it, @Edyflwr . Would Venus be visible in Antarctica? (Went searching...) From what I've seen digging around just a bit, Venus can be seen.

Posted

Perhaps someone will stop by to suggest if it might be Venus we see here. 😃 Apparently she would be a morning star.

Posted

• Edyflwr by Edyflwr

Ooh...I didn't think of that. I'll search Earthsky.org. Now I'm curious. 😃

Posted

• ggm02 by ggm02

You could also try the Stellarium program - given a location, it can map the sky for any date.

Posted

• ggm02 by ggm02

I've just tried it, and on that date Venus is just below the horizon. However I may have the wrong location. But Saturn, Mars and Jupiter...

Posted

• ggm02 by ggm02

...are all visible so could be one of them? Is the camera pointing North-ish?

Posted

@AvastMH - You'll enjoy this quest. 😃

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

This being Egg_Rock we know almost exactly where it is thanks to Mount Luigi (the reflection) & one of us saw the site on a visit down there

Posted

From this photo (almost mid-day and almost mid-summer) it looks like we are looking Northeast.

Posted

• ggm02 by ggm02

With the location set to the Antarctic peninsula, Stellarium shows Venus as being to the south and below the horizon on that date.

Posted

What other possibilities might there be?

Posted

If anyone can use this to look up Venus on that day please do - it could well be Venus 😃

Posted

It might be the International Space Station - it's as bright as Venus. That would take a bit of finding - but not impossible. :-\

Posted

• ggm02 by ggm02

Ah thanks for that, AvastMH. I reckon it's either Regulus, Jupiter or maybe Spica but I think that's too far east.

Posted

• ggm02 by ggm02

Venus is to the south on that day and perhaps just under the horizon too - maybe too low to cause a reflection like that.

Posted

• ggm02 by ggm02

Think the ISS would be going too fast to generate a sharpish image like that with a long-ish exposure?

Posted

• Edyflwr by Edyflwr

The ISS doesn't fly over the poles. Long answer: http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/5297/why-doesnt-iss-pass-over-the-polar-regions

Posted

• Edyflwr by Edyflwr

@ggm02 - I love the Stellarium program. 😃
    I've seen the ISS where I live, 38.84°N, it only takes several seconds for it to cross the sky.

Posted

• Edyflwr by Edyflwr

What if it's nothing but an artifact on the camera lens?

Posted

Then we'd expect to see it in other images. This inquiry is for our interest only. 😉

Posted

Thanks everyone 😃 Interesting about the ISS - I knew it didn't go to the poles but didn't know it was so low. I see it relatively often

Posted

over southern England. I like the idea of Regulus or Spica (and perhaps Jupiter) @ggm02 . We may never know - but it's fun to guess 😃

Posted

• ggm02 by ggm02

Join PenguinWatch and learn about the ISS - that's why I like this place! 😃

Posted

😄 😄 😄 That's the spirit @ggm02 ! My main project is OldWeather - went to learn about weather and now know all about sailing ships 😄 😄

Posted

• Edyflwr by Edyflwr

Jupiter will be visible from both hemispheres tomorrow. I'll look for it to see how bright it is.

Posted

• Edyflwr by Edyflwr

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupiter-venus-saturn-mercury

Posted

• coldcounter by coldcounter

Space is all the go in Oz at the moment ... sister project https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/ianc2/exoplanet-explorers exoplanet featured

Posted

on national broadcaster and good old citizen science people. We found four planet system!
    Link to report following for anyone interested..

Posted

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-06/stargazing-live-four-planets-discovered-in-new-solar-system/8423142

Posted

• Edyflwr by Edyflwr

That's exciting!

Posted

If you are into astronomy... we have been a nation with eyes turned skyward ant to computer screens last few days with amazing results.

Posted

Nice posts @coldcounter and @Edyflwr . I firmly believe that the people who come and donate their eager and focused minds on the

Posted

Zooniverse projects all deserve an award for their furtherance of knowledge, be it discovering new planets, or rescuing this one!

Posted

Makes me feel very proud to be part of it 😄

Posted

• Edyflwr by Edyflwr

How wonderful, @AvastMH! I live someplace where science is denied and it's concerning.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Haha, you are amazing guys!!! 😄 Love you all.

Posted